Author Topic: Morrissey (Martha) of Abbeyleix and Parents and any information.  (Read 256 times)

Offline Turvy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Morrissey (Martha) of Abbeyleix and Parents and any information.
« on: Tuesday 21 March 23 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Brand new here, and hoping somebody could help me out.  I have been looking for a while for this information, and I am getting nowhere (since before lockdown intermittently).

I am looking for any information on Martha Morrissey and her husband Patrick Fitzgerald and any of the people that came before them.
I have a gravestone that names her after she was married to Patrick Fitzgerald.  But after those there is a bit of a block. One of her sons erected a gravestone for her (LA-TLRE-0017) on historicgraves dot com. Coincidentally (or not), the grave next to it, is for the Morrisseys (LA-TLRE-0016) with their fathers name down as Edward, and their mothers name as 'Ettinor'. But I think that is a mistake that was made when transcribing it and maybe it should say Ellinor. Possibly.
Edward seems to have died at least a year before Martha may have been born, and he was 80.
So I think that maybe William or Charles may be Martha's father, as it seems she died on the 7th June 1877, aged 50. Putting her birth around 1826/27. But I can find no information about them.
I am also looking for information on Patricks' (her husband) parents, but I believe I may recently have found a line that I hope helps me there with a Martin Fitzgerald from Rathdowney (Laois).
Sorry if I have made that more confusing - I was rechecking the information as I was typing.

If it helps, I am mainly looking for any information for Martha Morrissey b.1826/27 in Abbeyleix d.1877 and her parents or any siblings.

Thank you for reading.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
Re: Morrissey (Martha) of Abbeyleix and Parents and any information.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 21:12 GMT (UK) »
On rootsireland, there is a transcription of a baptism of a Martha Morricy in Ballinakill (about 4km from Abbeyleix) in March 1822. Father Charles, mother Mary Doolin.

Also on rootsireland, Pat Fitzgerald married Martha Morrisy in Abbeyleix parish 1st July 1840.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 21:42 GMT (UK) »

"One of her sons erected a gravestone for her (LA-TLRE-0017) on historicgraves dot com."

"the grave next to it, is for the Morrisseys (LA-TLRE-0016) with their fathers name down as Edward, and their mothers name as 'Ettinor'."

Can you post an image of these headstones please.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Turvy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 23:14 GMT (UK) »
On rootsireland, there is a transcription of a baptism of a Martha Morricy in Ballinakill (about 4km from Abbeyleix) in March 1822. Father Charles, mother Mary Doolin.

Also on rootsireland, Pat Fitzgerald married Martha Morrisy in Abbeyleix parish 1st July 1840.
Hi, and thank you very much for your reply.
I have never heard about Charles and Mary Doolin before, but my mother has, and she believes that they are a different family. I am not sure.
Pat Fitzgerald married Martha Morrisy in Abbeyleix parish 1st July 1840 has appeared somewhere before and I am sure that is the same couple, but unfortunately we cannot get any further than that couple (we were not even sure that it was Patrcik until recently).
Regarding rootsireland, I have tried many times to register, but always meet errors about full stops, commas etc.
But I have never been successful in registering. I gave up a few months ago, but tried again when I saw your reply and that there is a 25% discount offer on, but I still meet with the same issues, I have also tried different browsers, and my mothers name and address to register. I don't know how to go forward unless there is an alternative.

EDIT -

Regarding the graves, yes, that is them in the post above, thank you Kiltaglassan