Author Topic: Gloucestershire archives lookup  (Read 275 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Gloucestershire archives lookup
« on: Wednesday 22 March 23 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am wondering if someone who goes to the archives would be kind enough to go through some documents on my behalf please?
In their infinite wisdom, the archives has bundled together 40 documents under 1 reference, with no further divisions. I have enquired with them about a search; they told me that their fee is £37 per hour, but to look through this lot was too much for them apparently.
All I am interested in is any documents referring to the Dowdeswell family, and the ones I am interested in would be in the earlier documents, up to possibly 1784.
The finding reference is D3775/1. The collection is of deeds and papers relating to Smow Farm, deposited by Hillard and Ward, solicitors of Chelmsford Essex.
I know this a big ask, but living in Australia,  my only other option is to pay a professional researcher.
I am happy to pay any costs involved, reader's ticket, car parking etc.
Also, I  am happy to have just transcripts, no photocopies are necessary.
Thank you.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gloucestershire archives lookup
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Forest of Dean Family History

https://forest-of-dean.net

(free to join, just register)

This website from January 2023 - The Gloucestershire Family History Society (GFHS) has taken over responsibility for maintaining the site, the date and the Forum. 

---

Under their Reources heading

are:

Gloucestershire Marriage Licence Allegations 1637-1837 and Marriage Bonds 1730-1823

Using the Soundex on the surname DOWDSWELL for variations of the spelling  - there are 95 - the earliest being 1638., different Counties as well i.e. Bushly, Worcestershire, Highworth, Wiltshire.  Sometimes there are two records, one being the Licence and the other Marriage Allegation.

---
Not sure whom you are researching.

The early documents might be difficult to read (style of handwriting, or even written in Latin)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Checking the Marriage Allegations/Marriage Bonds - on the Forest of Dean website, with some of the names listed, i.e. PURSER, DOWDSWELL etc. Reference: D3775/1

There is this one.... (two copies)

Record 41246

24 July 1743

Samuel PURSER aged 24 Bachelor
residence: Natton in the Parish of Ashchurch

Mary BENNETT - aged 23, Spinster
residence: Natton in the parish of Ashchurch

Marriage by Licence

Witness 1: John DOWDSWELL a Yeoman of Ashchurch

Marriage Allegation
Sworn before J Gregory

---

Then were are a couple of copies : 8 September 1745

When John DOWDSWELL aged 23, Batchelor of Ashchurch
married
Elizabeth CARPENTER - aged 22, Spinster of Cheltenham

by Licence:

Sworn before J Gregory
To Marry at St John Baptist

----

27 September 1743

Charles PARKER, aged 37, Batchelor, Ashchurch
marries
Hester DOWDSWELL - aged 36, Spinster
by Licence

Witness 1: John DOWDSWELL a Yeoman of Ashchurch.

---

This is just a quick look. 

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Men in Armour for Gloucestershire 1608  (Under Local History).

Lists nearly 20,000 men in Gloucestershire in 1608  (military survey)

https://coaley.net

Just enter DOW in the surname to obtain variations of spelling....

Lots of options including:

TEMPLE GUITINGS (WINCHCOMBE)

Thomas DOWDESWELL, husbandman A40 - middle stature ..... a couple in Tewkesbury & Tredington (Tewkesbury Parish) etc. etc.

In the Help section, with understanding the 'code'

A40 (shows the age of that man to be about Forty

Middle stature : shows that man to be of middle stature fit to make a musketeer.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 March 23 05:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information, Capetown. I had forgotten about the Forest of Dean site.
The Thomas Dowdeswell mentioned in Men in Armour I believe is my 9x great grandfather. And the John Dowdeswell in the marriage licences is the same man. Hester was his sister.
It's interesting that he was a witness to the licence of Samuel Purser.
It's my understanding that Smow Farm was owned by John's father, Thomas. And that is the reason for my initial request above. In the file listed above, I am hoping there is a document dated around 1762 where Thomas transfers ownership of Smow Farm, possibly to his other son Benjamin. I have never seen this document, but have been told of it many years ago. I am hoping it is among the papers for Smow Farm.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.