Author Topic: Catherine Armstrong burial Witton Cemetery-can anyone locate?  (Read 174 times)

Offline Burto

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Loving the new flag!
    • View Profile
Catherine Armstrong burial Witton Cemetery-can anyone locate?
« on: Friday 24 March 23 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
My ancestor Catherine Armstrong was buried at Witton Cemetery in Jul 1878. She is in 166 48327
She died at Aston Workhouse and is in a common grave, possibly buried with another inmate, Amos Hodgkins who is in 166 48325.
I have found a map of the cemetery and have managed to locate square 166 but I'd love to know exactly where plot 48327 is and if there's a headstone. I doubt it but you never know. I am not from the area but it would be nice to visit. Is there anyone on here who lives nearby that could confirm or anyone that has copies of actual grave plots if they exist? Many thanks
Swift , Matthews, Price , Clarke , Rockley, Dewey, Turton, Wild, Nottingham
Aldread, Brentnall, Cowlishaw Derbyshire
Elliot, The Borders/Nottingham FWK industry
Hartopp, NW Leicester (Barkby and surrounds).
Smith Bilston Staffordshire
Bennett, Calary? Ireland
Johnson, Staffordshire/Warwickshire
Latham, Lewis, Trevor, Vero, Armstrong, Barnett

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Armstrong burial Witton Cemetery-can anyone locate?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 March 23 22:11 GMT (UK) »
I have 3 ancestors buried in different common graves in Anfield Cemetary Liverpool & the only marker on each of those graves is a numbered brick - embedded in the soil & hidden by grass etc.  A Cemetary official had to locate them for us. 

Unless an ancestor of one of those in the common grave has paid for a headstone - nobody else would.

Basically - all you will see is an area of grassland between other graves
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)