Author Topic: Noel House, Little Island, Co. Cork  (Read 660 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Noel House, Little Island, Co. Cork
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 11:32 BST (UK) »
I didn't suggest Rock House because of a description I read of it from an 1874 Newspaper, a woman speaking about her childhood as there was a suggestion to demolish Rock House.

"Dating back to the 18th century the "Rock House" was in the first instance one of the many "look out towers" stretching from the mouth of the harbour."
"At the turn of this century my grandmother- Mary Bransfield and her family lived on the estate of of Major Bury on whose land the tower was erected."

"While the Bury family occupied the estate 'Rock house' was used as a picnic "lodge" for aristocrats who came to visit, it was also use as a bathing house for lady friends of the family's daughters"

"A family named Ivers lived on the estate at a later date and they used "Rock House" as a boating centre."

I could never decide if it sounded like it could be rented out as a residence.

Offline miracula

• RootsChat Extra
  • Genealogy is packed with surprises and questions!
    • View Profile
Re: Noel House, Little Island, Co. Cork
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 20:10 BST (UK) »
I totally agree that the spelling is "Rock" House. The "k" in Cork just beneath is similar in "Rock". Thank you all for your posts!

There is a Rock Farm in the townland Ballytrasna, the Civ. Parish Little Island due to the historical map on Geohive Mapviewer of the period 1830 to 1930. Due to the "Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis", the owner of Rockfarm was J. Cantillon. Maybe Hermann Jaeggi was working for this quarry owner (census 1901) between 1891 and his wedding 1900. Jaeggi and his wife are not in the census 1901.

Hermann Jaeggi was steward at the Munster Club, 8 South Mall, in Cork City.
It is open since when he was working there. He is in the Cork directory at 1904.
Acheson, Coffey, Casey, Ahearn, Kennedy, Hughes, Hearn, Gamble, Norwood, Carroll, Gray, Powell, Power, Hennebry, Rainsberry, Lyndop, Lester, Caesar.
Wunderli, Wanner, Frei, Koneth, Mäder, Häuptli, Tobler, Pletscher, Stamm, Schiess, Signer, Meyer, Burkhard, Knupp, Stünzi, Usteri, Zeller, Heusi