Author Topic: JAMES NOWLAND and ELEANOR McCarthy/McCARTY  (Read 320 times)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JAMES NOWLAND and ELEANOR McCarthy/McCARTY
« on: Sunday 26 March 23 23:21 BST (UK) »
Good Morning everyone
    Firstly I would like to know if anyone on the list has the NSW Pioneer Index 1788-1888 (or similar) CD or if it is available at any of the libraries!  I am trying to sort out my NOWLAN/D family.  It’s a bit mixed up with some records appearing on the NSW BDM and some? on the above Index.

I have 5 Children born to convicts JAMES NOWLAN/D per “Coromandel 2 ” 1804 and ELEANOR/ELLEN McCARTHY/ (aka McCarty) per “Mary Ann” 1822.

Dennis b 1824 (on NSW BDM)
Ann b 1826 (on NSW BDM) born Maitland/Wallis Plains BUT baptised? at St. Mary’s Sydney 1830 (Confusing)
James b 1827 (on NSW BDM) listed 3 times
John  b 1833  (on NSW BDM) listed 3 times
William does not appear on NSW BDM.    I was hoping that he may have been on the Pioneer Index??

The family seem to be on the 1828 Muster BUT ANN is not listed.  Living in Wallis Plains (near Maitland)

It has been a crazy ride sorting JAMES NOWLAN/D out as there were TWO on the Coromandel sent out exactly the same year! 

On the Queensland library data base My one seems to be listed as NEWLAND term 7 years and his trial is on the Old Bailey site.  Just copied his trial this morning.  The ‘OTHER’ James is listed as NOWLAN tried 16 Feb 1803 aged 28, LIFE.  No old Bailey trial though.

Hulk registers ancestry have BOTH of them (I think?) on the “PRUDENTIA.”  It’s a tangle and I am still researching everything available at the moment.  One may have died in 1819 25 January, buried St. Peters CE Richmond area.

Thanks for any advise/help.  Kindest regards Dianna

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: JAMES NOWLAND and ELEANOR McCarthy/McCARTY
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 March 23 00:42 BST (UK) »
https://australianroyalty.net.au/tree/purnellmccord.ged/individual/I35570/William-Nowland

I don't know how accurate this site is but it has William Nowland b 1833 died Granville 1899 age 66.
I can't find him anywhere else (son of James and Ellen) so you may have to try somehow to find him on NSW Pioneers as you suggest. Or purchase his death cert because the informant definitely knew who his parents were and may also know his age.

shume   australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 March 23 01:24 BST (UK) »
Hi shume
   Thanks for that!  I have checked that site out also I don't know how accurate it is!  I think the death for William is correct again I would have to purchase the certificate.

William was  the witness on his fathers death certificate.  I don't think I will worry about the Pioneer Index, my local library told me they have the CD BUT now there is no actual computer to use it on.  LOL  I must have looked at that Index decades ago.

I will just order the certificates I can from my transcription agent!  Many thanks for your time Dianna

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 March 23 11:31 BST (UK) »
The family seem to be on the 1828 Muster BUT ANN is not listed.  Living in Wallis Plains (near Maitland)

In 1828, Ann is 'Ellen', aged 2.

...... born Maitland/Wallis Plains BUT baptised? at St. Mary’s Sydney 1830 (Confusing)

The baptisms would have been at Wallis Plains and the indexed entries you see would have been  taken by the circuit priest and entered into the registers at St Mary's Catholic in Sydney.

Debra  :)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 March 23 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra
    Thanks for your input. Lucky I have just been sent Ann's baptismal record, so that clarifies something I guess.

It has been a bit confusing because there seems to be my family buried at the Devonshire st Cemetery and Re Interred to Rookwood.  I put that snip here.

So you think they are calling Ann "Ellen" possible I guess!  Many thanks Dianna

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 March 23 17:34 BST (UK) »
Just adding Ann's Baptismal record.  Thanks Dianna