Author Topic: Siblings as marriages witnesses question  (Read 611 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Siblings as marriages witnesses question
« on: Saturday 01 April 23 06:50 BST (UK) »
(There may already be a post on this but I couldn’t spot one.)

In every case where I can (I think) identify witnesses to marriages who are related to the bride and/or groom, I think that all are either brother or sister (or the spouse of brother or sister). I can’t think of a marriage witnessed by a parent. Was this pretty much “standard practice”?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Siblings as marriages witnesses question
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 April 23 08:21 BST (UK) »
What country/area? what time period? I've found quite a few marriages where a parent is one of the witnesses (most commonly it is the father) in Ireland and Scotland in the 1800s. Years ago most marriages were not big social events but in the last 100 years or so it was probably common for witnesses to be best man & maid/matron of honour.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 April 23 08:24 BST (UK) »
What country/area? what time period? I've found quite a few marriages where a parent is one of the witnesses (most commonly it is the father) in Ireland and Scotland in the 1800s. Years ago most marriages were not big social events but in the last 100 years or so it was probably common for witnesses to be best man & maid/matron of honour.

England in the late C18th and during the C19th.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 April 23 10:42 BST (UK) »
I have been told (informally), that historically younger witnesses were preferred.
This was because in case of there being any case requiring the witnesses to give testimony regarding the marriage, they were more likely to be alive and able to remember.

Witnesses did not have to be of adult age, either; only able to understand the situation and what was required of them, so can sometimes be teenagers.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 April 23 10:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I suppose that makes sense. Certainly some of the witnesses I know of would have been in their teens.

Dave

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 April 23 11:14 BST (UK) »
I married in the 1970's and my mum was a witness. My dad had died when I was a child and so it was suggested as it would be the last chance to show my maiden name.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 April 23 12:29 BST (UK) »
As a registrar I had witnesses aged between 12 and 90+, and a whole selection of family, friends and in one case complete strangers who had never met the couple before. Parents, particularly mothers, featured quite regularly.

They can be an often overlooked source of important info for research if you can work out who they were and what the connection might have been (if there was one).

But as there are no rules about witness eligibility it isn't something that you can make any generalisations about really.

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 April 23 12:34 BST (UK) »
Often the bridesmaid(s) and best man would have been siblings to the bride and groom and would have been well placed to sign the Marriage Certificate after the ceremony.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 April 23 15:07 BST (UK) »
I've come across several where a parent was a witness.

When my dad's parents married in 1926, both the bride's parents signed, along with her brother and her bridesmaid. The groom's side didn't get a look in!

There seems to have been a fashion for having more than 2 witnesses. Around a quarter of the marriages at that church in the first quarter of the 20th century had at least three.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.