Author Topic: John MURRAY  (Read 218 times)

Offline wildcats13

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John MURRAY
« on: Sunday 02 April 23 06:02 BST (UK) »
I am trying to confirm the family line for our John Murray (1781-1857) who came to Sydney, Australia in 1833 on the ship Eliza, with wife Ruth Proctor and children Ruth (7) & George Edward Murray (11).
I found a marriage detail for John's father Patrick Murray, who married Hannah Sinkins, Banns date    1 Nov 1779, Banns Place: Exeter, St Paul, Devon, England. Patrick was born about 1747 in Cashel, near Ballymahon, Longford, Ireland and died 7 Aug 1826 in Exeter, Devon, England, as did Hannah in November 1823.
On 5 Nov 1794 • UK, Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioners
Patrick was discharged from Hospital. Apothecary in 50th Regiment & others. Served 26 years. Private. Worn out & wounds. (see attachment)
My main concern relates to John's Gr. Grandfather (Patrick Murray) & Gr. GR. Grandfather (George Murray). This Patrick was born about 1725 in Armagh, Killybearn, County Tyrone (Ireland 1766 (Religish Census) and believe he was a Corporal in the 50th & 52nd Regiment. I have read where Patricks parents were George Murray & Amelia Murray, and that indicates that this was Lord George Murray who was born in Huntingtower, Perthshire, Scotland. From what I have been able to find so far, there was no Patrick born to this George Murray.
I have searched the UK Parish register and the General Register Office for Northern Ireland without success, and still to check the UK Muster and war records, but don't believe I will find the parent details between Patrick & George necessary to confirm the family line. I am hoping someone may be able to shed some light on the problem

Offline Widowsson31

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John MURRAY
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 April 24 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hello John,
Please Private message me
I have some information I believe.  Colour Sgt John Murray was my 3rd great grandfather.  I was adopted.  Iook forward to hearing from you.  John Cade Murray was my biological grandfather.  My cousin Katheleen (Kate) Sutherland my cousin is with me now.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John MURRAY
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 19:56 BST (UK) »
Wildcats13 may not have received a notification of you post, it might be worth you making one or two more posts so you can use private messages, than you can send him one yourself, with only one post you can’t even receive a PM at the moment.