Author Topic: Cornwall and Devon DNA  (Read 1296 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Cornwall and Devon DNA
« on: Saturday 08 April 23 12:17 BST (UK) »
Has anyone who has long Cornish Ancestry tested on ancestry ?

What does your ethnicity state
My friends father was from Cornwall and tne paternal line has been trace back to. 1700s
His results  27,%english +north European  ancestry breaks down his community as specifically from Devon and Cornwall
Sub division of kerrier Cornwall+eas Cornwall
Just From his father's side he has inherited
24 % Scottish  8%irish +2%swedish
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cornwall and Devon DNA
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 April 23 12:28 BST (UK) »
Cont...
The 11 % English inherited from his mother doesn't specify a community but she is mostly Welsh and African

The father's mother  was born to a single mother whose line I ve also traced back to 1811
But thru lines are not showing

I already  thought  that this grandmother must have been born to a Scottish father

But with such a high Scots percent
maybe the great grandmother was also Scottish origins or adopted

Either way I'm interested in hearing what
Results . Cornish or half Cornish testees have had

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 April 23 15:38 BST (UK) »
Brigid, I'm currently away from home with a terrible wifi signal, but here goes...

Ancestry communities are derived solely from ancestors locations in the trees of DNA matches, in a similar way to Thrulines hints. So they have nothing to do with a direct analysis of your or their DNA as such.

Hence the reason that I and my brother belong to a number of USA communities, when we have no direct ancestral connections to the US at all. But our maternal GGF had several children by another partner before marrying our GGM. They all emigrated from the north of England to the US and we have numerous half cousin matches at varying distances with their descendants.

So Ancestry think we have US origins ???
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 April 23 15:59 BST (UK) »
I disagree I am not located in Latvia or Scotland
My friend is not located in Cornwall
We put names of ancestors before origins
Ethnicity shows up before you build a tree

It's getting more and more accurate
My mother's results originally showed some European Jewish now it's to specific origins
Many Americans especially attribute erroneous locations to their ancestors from pre 1900 Baltic's even if they know names
The ancestry DNa picks up the region

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 April 23 16:03 BST (UK) »
AS  far as I know Ancestry does not have a US
Ethnicity Apart from.natve American

My American relatives have Scottish/ Irish Welsh /English /European Jewish  ethnicity

Have you misunderstood how the DNA ethnicity works . It shows emigration of communities and locations where your matches live. if you look at maps but if you look at the ethnicity of your matches compared to your own it will be accurate

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 April 23 16:11 BST (UK) »
Not relavant to Cornish post but this is shared ethnicity with a third cousin our common ancestors are Welsh
He has no Jewish European. Germanic or Swedish  which is why those are  blank I'm not showing his amount because it would reveal name but you can see the relative amounts in colour bars

The map underneath is green for shared ethnicities blue for my unique  ethnicities and yellow for ethnities he has + I don't

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 April 23 16:42 BST (UK) »
AS  far as I know Ancestry does not have a US
Ethnicity Apart from.natve Americans

My American relatives have Scottish/ Irish Welsh /English /European Jewish  ethnicity

Have you misunderstood how the DNA ethnicity works . It shows emigration of communities and locations where your matches live if you look at maps but if you look at the ethnicity of your matches compared to your own it will be accurate

No I haven't misunderstood. Ethnicity is derived from DNA segments believed to be common to individuals descended from a particular region. How accurate it may be at any particular level is open to a degree of questionability.

But besides ethnicity, you also referred to a community of Devon and Cornwall. Ancestry's communities are derived from locations in common to the more recent ancestors of you and your DNA matches, and are determined from the location information in your and their family trees, for ancestors who lived in the same places over a similar period of time, not from any information in your or their DNA, other than the genetic autosomal matching that connects you and directs Ancestry's algorithm to run its trawl through those trees.

North American communities are certainly not restricted to indigenous Americans. One of the communities that my brother and I share is Ohio, Indiana and East Kentucky Settlers (1700-1975) which Ancestry describe as "The pioneers of German and English ancestry who crossed the Appalachian Mountains in the late 18th century".

In respect of which, Ancestry also say, "You, and all the members of this community, are linked through shared ancestors. You probably have family who lived in this area for years—and maybe still do. The more specific places within this region where your family was likely from: Southern & Central Indiana, Southwestern Ohio & Northern Kentucky."

As I say, my family have never been to or settled in any of those locations, but numerous half cousins descended from my GGF did emigrate to and settle in those areas. No-one from my direct line, certainly within the last 300 years, which Ancestry Communities are supposed to represent.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 April 23 18:32 BST (UK) »
I may have mis worded about American ethnicity

Anyway I'm interested in people with well established Cornish identity and hope some will share how their results are described

I'm looking at the matches from friends paternal line but a lot don't have very large trees so I can't see where their ancestors lived .

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 April 23 20:12 BST (UK) »
There is some confusion over ethnicity and communities because of the way ancestry worded it

Id like to know if other people have specific Cornish or Devon ethnicities such as this