Author Topic: Baker Family of Ewhurst - 1780s  (Read 169 times)

Offline BakersinAus

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baker Family of Ewhurst - 1780s
« on: Sunday 16 April 23 07:28 BST (UK) »
Hi - I'm related to the Bakers of Ewhurst through Thomas Baker and Sarah Ellis Catt and their Son Moses (who later moved from Ewhurst / Ticehurst to Kingston). I've noted a number of threads some years ago relating to this pair and wonder if anyone has managed to reasonably link Thomas Baker back to his father. I have his Father as Joseph Baker who married Mary Harris (both born and died in Ewhurst). This is called out in the Ewhurst Parish Church transcription showing Thomas as being baptised on 4th July 1784 parents being Joseph and Mary Baker.  I have this line going back in Ewhurst to John Baker and Ann Dicker then it continues back to Rye with Samuel Baker and Anne Bennett and then back to Ashford with Richard Baker and Margaret Elkes although beyond Thomas is all rather loose.

I'm firm on the relationship with Thomas Baker and Sarah Ellis Catt and have also found the details of Moses' brother Thomas Baker who travelled to Port Jackson Australia in 1839 aboard the Strathfieldsay becoming one of the pioneers of the Uralla region of NSW. Incidentally he also travelled and became and stayed friends with Henry Parks who went on to become the Premier of NSW and is called out as the "Father of Federation" in Australia. Thomas' documentation lists Sarah Catt and Thomas Baker as his parents. Beyond there it becomes a little hazy.
I know there's been plenty of research on the Bakers of Ewhurst just hoping someone can tell me if I'm heading in the right direction or going off on a tangent.

All the best - Paul (formerly of Tenterden and now living in Melbourne)