Author Topic: Researcher Recommendations / costs  (Read 476 times)

Offline BeckyG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Researcher Recommendations / costs
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 April 23 21:23 BST (UK) »
The last Poor Law entry said that she was struck off on 4 August 1869.

Yes sorry I've had previous threads , one regarding tracing Isabella and the second asking for advice on the Poor Law , and I've had  sadly no luck at all hence wondering whether to use a researcher .  .

Offline BeckyG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 April 23 21:25 BST (UK) »
Sorry GR2 , MacKenzie was actually her married name and maiden name.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 April 23 22:17 BST (UK) »
In one of your previous threads Monica found a death of an Isabella Mackenzie in Gairloch in 1871.

You replied[/quote]1869 Gairloch Southern -age 75 - place of death Sands , Gairloch -  wife of Alexander MacKenzie (crofter) -parents Murdo & Margaret MacKenzie-  informant Alexander MacKenzie, nephew[/quote]

The one in 1871 is 78 - have you looked at that certificate to check to see if her age has been misindexed?

On what date in 1871 was Isabella's daughter married?

I am travelling back to Scotland in October so could research local (Applecross/ Shieldaig ) records
Your chances of finding any surviving records at all in either Applecross or Shieldaig or in the parish of Gairloch are close to nil. If anything more has survived, the most likely place to find it is in the Highland Archives in Inverness (or one of their branches) as suggested by Gadget above. They, by the way, hold the original Poor Law records.

Have you considered that the reason for Isabella being struck off may be that one of her family had taken responsibility for looking after her, and that she may have moved almost anywhere as a result?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline BeckyJane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 April 23 07:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfaraian, I think that looking at the Poor Law entries would be really useful .

Yes I checked the death certificates  which are quite away off the correct age . I did find an entry is Shieldaig in 1864 which fits but their are Poor Law entries for Isabella up until 1869. Did cross my mind that the wedding entry for her daughter Mary could hav been wrong . I have found a death entry in Tain from 1888 which is from the Poor House but I think that the mother's maiden name is wrong.

I did work on a theory that she has gone to live with family but I just can't trace her son William . Isabella was also born in Lochcarron where the records were destroyed and  I just can't find any family for her .

Have looked on Gadget's links so will have a visit to the Inverness Records Office when we travel up in October . I do have lots of DNA matches that I've been unable to establish a connection for , in particular McMillans, so I'll keep on searching there too .
Thanks for everyone's comments .