Author Topic: Benigna Burton about 1756 Nottingham  (Read 258 times)

Offline AlgarvePete

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Harry and 3 of my uncles.
    • View Profile
Benigna Burton about 1756 Nottingham
« on: Monday 24 April 23 06:15 BST (UK) »
Hi all, a real long shot, trying to find a birth and death date for my 5xgreat grandmother Benigna Burton about 1756 in Nottingham. I have her marriage to Joseph Palethorp(e) 29 Sep 1776 St Mary, Nottingham and the Baptism of 2 sons Joseph 19 Jul 1777 and William 22 Oct 1780. Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Pete.
Mainly researching the Lees from Herts but also compiling a one name study of Culverhouse

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Benigna Burton about 1756 Nottingham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 April 23 07:34 BST (UK) »
Phillmore's Transcript  St. Mary Nottingham

Joseph Savil bap. 10 September 1778 of Joseph and Benigna Palethorp.

------------
The first Joseph was baptized at St George's Baptist Chapel, although the 2nd Joseph and William were C of E. You should consider Non Conformist records.

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 April 23 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi
It looks like Joseph senior may have been buried 15 Dec 1784 Nottingham so consider a remarriage.

Ciderdrinker

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 April 23 13:04 BST (UK) »
I see the 2 bapts for Joseph and then William but there is a ESTHER 07 Apr 1779 to JOSEPH/PENELOPE Palethorpe also.

Just though that was interesting as no other bapts I can see with Mother Penelope.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 April 23 17:15 BST (UK) »
The Notts FH CD gives the mother's name as BERUGNER at the baptism of the first Joseph (1777).

There's a burial for Joseph Palethorpe, sonn of Joseph, at Nott St Mary on 9 March 1779. (But the second Joseph was baptised in 1778, so presumably the first had already died by then - I don't see a burial for him).

I can't see any Pal(e)thorp% marriages that might represent a remarriage for Benigna, nor any promising burials.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline AlgarvePete

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Harry and 3 of my uncles.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 April 23 18:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks all, I will keep searching, the second son Joseph married Elizabeth Crowder (not Crowther as some trees have) 5 Jul 1802 • St. John the Evangelist, Carlton in Lindrick, Nottinghamshire (grooms parish Radford) and their daughter Margaret married James Crabtree who is my direct ancestor. Thanks again, Pete.
P.S. the rare name Benigna is of Italian origin and means 'kind' or 'of this place' but I was surprised how many there are on freeBMD.
I have now found this site https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/manuscriptsandspecialcollections/documents/collectionsindepth/nonconformistchurchregisters/cu-r-3-1baptisms.pdf
Unfortunately some records are missing but there were 5 Burton's baptised there in the 1750's sadly Benigna is not amongst them.

Mainly researching the Lees from Herts but also compiling a one name study of Culverhouse