Author Topic: George Uvedale Price - Early Life  (Read 303 times)

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Uvedale Price - Early Life
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 April 23 15:04 BST (UK) »
I know that you said you were only interested in pre-1840 info, but I thought that you might be interested in this reference that I found to a book that he published:

Rambles with a Camera. by George Uvedale Price. Hongkong, Shanghai, Kelly & Walsh, lim. fol.
A Series of Photographs with descriptive Text illustrating the Physical Features, Scenery, Temples, Types of Native Life, etc. etc., of the Island of Amoy and its immediate Neighbourhood. Part I.

I went to abebooks to see if it was available and no, it isn't, but there is a copy of his
Celestials Published by Yokohama, Hong Kong, Shanghai & Singapore: Kelly & Walsh Limited, 190o. 1st Edition. First and only printing. Four collotype portraits of Chinese people, each with a leaf of descriptive text and a numbered tissue-guard, the text being a poetic extract including from Shakespeare and Alexander Pope.

Yours for £1,600
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 April 23 15:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks but I think you will find that this George Uvedale Price is a different person.

There is an artist of the same name who has quite a few entries on the net.

My interest is with the soldier and amongst the quite extensive documentation that I have there is no reference to artistic or photgraphic skills...........
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 April 23 15:21 BST (UK) »
Oh well, did you see my previous post?
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 April 23 15:47 BST (UK) »
Oh well, did you see my previous post?

Yes thanks. I will contact the school archives to see if they might be able to help.
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.