Author Topic: Who do you think you are series 20  (Read 8253 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Who do you think you are series 20
« Reply #45 on: Friday 23 June 23 18:23 BST (UK) »
I quite liked the Kevin Clifton one. I keep hoping we get Steve McFadden and David jason do WDYTYA one day.  :D

Also in more recent times as well, there will be a number of families in a cluster of villages who have the same surnames, and this may mean they were cousins or more distant ones and they wed into families of the same surname or families with another surname that is known in the area that is not as common as Smith or Brown. For instance a village with a number of families with the surname Keeble/Bridges/Newson and Fruer in Suffolk will have members of the families marrying into each others extended family. So you may find 2 people of the surname Keeble marry 2 people of the surname Newson, and they may have been siblings marrying siblings, or more distant relations, or even coincidence. My ancestor William Mayhew wed Eliz Bridges, and his cousin wed a Edward Bridges but that does not necessarily mean Edward and Eliz were siblings, they may have been cousins/2nd cousins or it was just coincidence.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 23 June 23 21:40 BST (UK) »
I really enjoyed the KC episode.

A good story, which apparently is well-known in Canada but virtually unknown on this side of the Atlantic.

I'm surprised though that nobody thought of doing a quick internet search for Matooskie. Maybe it is a generational thing!

We should take it as reminder that just doing a general search for some of our ancestors can produce surprising nuggets!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 23 June 23 22:49 BST (UK) »
I'm watching it now
.I don't watch dance programmes so didn't know Kevin C
I like his enthusiasm for all the discoveries

Love this series .

It would be interesting to know his DNA ethnicity.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Online Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 24 June 23 00:29 BST (UK) »
The Kevin Clifton episode is one of my favourites so far, if only because of his amazement and enthusiasm as the story unfolded. 

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 24 June 23 01:30 BST (UK) »
I really enjoyed the KC episode.

A good story, which apparently is well-known in Canada but virtually unknown on this side of the Atlantic.

I'm surprised though that nobody thought of doing a quick internet search for Matooskie. Maybe it is a generational thing!

We should take it as reminder that just doing a general search for some of our ancestors can produce surprising nuggets!

What story is well known in Canada?  I’ve never heard of Kevin Clifton.  Now I’m intrigued (we don’t get the show here)!

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 24 June 23 02:22 BST (UK) »
What story is well known in Canada?  I’ve never heard of Kevin Clifton.  Now I’m intrigued (we don’t get the show here)!

This story:  https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~coigach/genealogy/matooskie.htm

Also mentioned a few years ago here on Rootschat: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=228424.0

ADDED: Just reading the penultimate post on the above thread (4 Aug 2021) "I'm a researcher currently working for a UK based history TV programme and I'd love to hear more about what you know about Matooskie and also your connections with her descendants if posssible.  Thank you so much, Hermione".  Someone named Hermione Hellyer was working as a Development Researcher on WDYTYA in Aug 2021 - same person?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 24 June 23 09:56 BST (UK) »

This story:  https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~coigach/genealogy/matooskie.htm

Also mentioned a few years ago here on Rootschat: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=228424.0

ADDED: Just reading the penultimate post on the above thread (4 Aug 2021) "I'm a researcher currently working for a UK based history TV programme and I'd love to hear more about what you know about Matooskie and also your connections with her descendants if posssible.  Thank you so much, Hermione".  Someone named Hermione Hellyer was working as a Development Researcher on WDYTYA in Aug 2021 - same person?

Very interesting story, although I have never heard of Matooskie (and I used to teach Canadian history).  Alexander Mackenzie is very well known.
Thanks for this, Jomot.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 24 June 23 13:56 BST (UK) »
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)