Author Topic: death India  (Read 226 times)

Offline susan ault

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
death India
« on: Sunday 14 May 23 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
I am at a brick wall with a great x 2 uncle.
William Henry Brown was born on 22nd Dec 1868 in Paddington, Middx.
I believe he enlisted in the army prior to the 1st world war but died in India possibly Rank Sergeant Major.
His wife also died in India and they had one daughter called May Alicia Brown born in 1893.
May was shipped to England after her parent's death to live with her grandmother in Marylebone, Middx.
May sadly could not remember her mother's name so her family only have information on May after she was shipped home to England.
I can't find any information On William Henry Brown whilst serving in India. I have an extensive list of possible marriages in London but have not sent off for any as of yet, taking into account that William and his bride may have married in India.
This is my brick wall folks, any help or ideas appreciated.

Sue Ault

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: death India
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 May 23 10:17 BST (UK) »
A few questions –
Where was May Alicia Brown born in 1893? Do you have her birth record?
What date did she travel home to England?
What were her grandparents names?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline susan ault

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 May 23 10:27 BST (UK) »
We believe May was born in India
Grandparents were George Brown and Elizabeth Thorn. I have May on two census with he grandmother and aunt. May's granddaughter has given me May's marriage certificate and gives her father as decd. It is William we need info on we can't even find his death in India or that of his wife. I have checked on ancestry but no luck sadly.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 May 23 10:31 BST (UK) »
I have May on two census with he grandmother and aunt. May's granddaughter has given me May's marriage certificate and gives her father as decd.
Which census?
When did May come back to ENgland ??
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 May 23 10:31 BST (UK) »
You might get some advice here: https://www.fibis.org/
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 May 23 10:48 BST (UK) »
I can see no birth for a William Henry Brown in 1868 to a mother with maiden name Thorn.
As you have not given enough detail regarding the census you mentioned, I am having trouble finding the family.
So, It’s difficult to know how to help without some more detailed information from you.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 May 23 11:03 BST (UK) »
We believe May was born in India
According to the 1901 census grand-daughter May Brown was born in Marylebone.

Have you considered that she might be the illegitimate daughter of Alice Brown? Looks like quite a likely option to look at.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 May 23 11:05 BST (UK) »

William Henry Brown was born on 22nd Dec 1868 in Paddington, Middx.
I believe he enlisted in the army prior to the 1st world war but died in India possibly Rank Sergeant Major.
His wife also died in India and they had one daughter called May Alicia Brown born in 1893.
Assuming her parents married before her birth the father William Henry will have been aged 25 or under when she was born. There is no way he could have reached the rank of Sergeant Major by that age so if that part is true, it must have been later.
I can't find any information On William Henry Brown whilst serving in India. I have an extensive list of possible marriages in London but have not sent off for any as of yet, taking into account that William and his bride may have married in India.
FIBIS (as suggested by nannyjan) only brings up two possible marriages  but they are well after May's birth so seem unlikely. For completeness the marriages are:

1) 18 Jan 1905 at the Presbyterian Church, Meerut: William Henry Brown age 30 bach Asst Military Surgeon, father James Henry Brown to Jane Smales 33 widow, dip midwife, father William Few

2) 5 Apr 1905 at the Wesleyan Chapel, Popham's Broadway, Madras: William Henry Brown 62nd Coy Royal Garrison Artillery to Clarissa Mary Haller daughter of Dr and Mrs WH Haller. (Groom's surname also spelt Browne in one transcription)

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 May 23 11:27 BST (UK) »
There are a couple of deaths in India which might fit for William Henry.

William Brown Pte 18th Hussars died 5 Dec 1894 age 27 (1867) cause pneumonia. Buried 6 Dec 1894 at Mean Mir, Lahore

William Brown Pte 2nd battalion Highland Light Infantry died 26 Jan 1893 age 25 and 6 months cause enteric fever. Buried 28 Jan Chakrata Bengal.