Author Topic: What is this uniform please?  (Read 414 times)

Offline Traysha

• RootsChat Member
  • Gd father John Smith
    • View Profile
What is this uniform please?
« on: Sunday 14 May 23 13:04 BST (UK) »
Am trying to work out what year this photo would be by the uniform. Anyone know? thanks
Pugh  Bishops Castle
Burley Cradley Heath
Foley  Cradley Heath
Smith  Netherton

Offline pogo99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What is this uniform please?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 May 23 14:55 BST (UK) »
World War 2 American.

Offline Traysha

• RootsChat Member
  • Gd father John Smith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 May 23 17:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much. Thats complicated my research. One of these men is supposed to be the father of someone born 1932 in West Sussex. I have the birth cert for her but her birth parents split up just a few years later and they must have divorced as the mother remarried in 1937. He didn't die till 1971 in Enfield. So how did he get to wear an American uniform? Could he have enlisted from this country or would he have emigrated, fought and then returned to the uk.
Intriguing to say the least. Any ideas anyone?
Pugh  Bishops Castle
Burley Cradley Heath
Foley  Cradley Heath
Smith  Netherton

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 May 23 17:46 BST (UK) »
A pity it's not in colour.

My late OH was born 1937 and was conscripted into the Royal Airforce in 1955.   The fellow on the righthand side is wearing a belt buckle similar to that worn by the Royal Airforce (and for all I know the army and navy could also have used that type of buckle.)
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline pogo99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 May 23 21:37 BST (UK) »
If you look at the left sleeve on the centre and right man it looks like American style stripes for sergeant rank plus they always tucked their ties in like that . ;)