Author Topic: would you be offended  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
  • The future is all about the past
    • View Profile
Re: would you be offended
« Reply #18 on: Friday 19 May 23 22:42 BST (UK) »
My dad passed away two and a half years ago. There was a huge list of great grandchildren so we chose to say that my dad was a dearly loved father, grandfather and great grandfather. The only names we put on were my brother, my sister and her 4 children and partners and me, my hubby and my eldest son and his wife and my youngest son and his partner.
We did the same when my mother in law diesd, I'd have been offended to have been left off the list of names.
Knight, Bates, Newton, Pick,Perkins, Marshall, North, Kilby, Beckett, Prince.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 20 May 23 20:57 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

Maybe it was the DiL who wrote the obituary on behalf of her husband. OH did both my mothers and my brothers on my behalf. She said I would write it all wrong with bad grammer etc.

John915

Added, She also did my Aunts.
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 May 23 21:14 BST (UK) »
Searching for someone on the BNA this evening brought up this clip in the Heywood Advertiser in 1964:

HENRY aged MO years. the nearly loved Ilusnand of the late Alice HARDMAN....

The actual notice is certainly more 'loving' of Henry  ::)

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 21 May 23 02:13 BST (UK) »
Insults is my great grandmothers Will, which names five children leaving estate to one and bequeathing sixty pounds to the other four.  She had six children but left my grandmother a widow with poor health and a four year old out.  No idea why.  Perhaps because she had contact with her fathers side of the family in New Zealand, her uncle and cousins.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline DiGi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes a slip is made when people are dealing with a death and particularly if it's a sudden, unexpected death.  When our son died we got together something to put into the obituary page and totally missed his paternal grandparents' names.  Just a slip but we were totally shocked and grieving and hopefully people would realise it wasn't intentional.  We would have been mortified if we weren't dealing with something so much worse in our lives.
West Lothian: Grant, Webster, Lowrie;  Fife:  Innes, Scotland, Wardlaw;  Northumberland: Armstrong, Gillings, Blenkinsop, Latimer, Shields;  Cumbria: Pearson, Gasgarth, Gibson, Rudd;  Kent: Cross, Atkins, Saunders, Sharp;  Norfolk: Bristow, Gillings, Birchall