Author Topic: Burial Lookups.  (Read 668 times)

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
Burial Lookups.
« on: Tuesday 16 May 23 03:55 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

Below are people I am hoping (even if it is a long shot) someone may find a burial information/record for. I have researched the Christchurch Library and the online Christchurch Cemetery Search database to no avail. These people are most likely buried around Lyttelton.

Albert L. Butler (alt spelt Bulter):
A saloon passenger, from the Lady Jocelyn, who died November 11th, 1872 aged 32 years from consumption. It is possible he was buried at Camp bay Quarantine Cemetery as the ship anchored at Ripa Island at 4pm on the day Mr Butler died. The reason he may have still been buried at Lyttelton is the ship wasn't quarantined and the passenger wasn't poor.

Eleanor (Ellen) Charlotte Biddle (nee Jones):
A government assisted passenger who died August 21st, 1873 aged 35 years, while on board the ship Mary Shepherd. Eleanor was the wife of Zachariah Wright Biddle. She is likely buried at Lyttleton as the ship was not quarantined and was anchored at Lyttelton.

George Sutton:
A government assisted passenger who died in Lyttelton June 9th, 1874 aged 20 hours. He was a passenger on the ship Ballochmyle and the son of William and Harriet Blanchard Sutton from the county of Wiltshire, England.

Walter Alfred Burcher:
A government assisted passenger of the ship Carisbrooke Castle. He died September 4th, 1874 aged 1 year (20 months). He was the son of Walter John and Mary Ann Burcher from Sussex, England. His death occurred 2 days after the ship had anchored at Rhodes Bay.

Jessie Voyce:
A government assisted passenger who died January 1st, 1875 aged 3 years while the ship Crusader was anchored at Rhodes Bay. She was the daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Voyce from the county of Hampshire, England. She was not buried Temuka Cemetery but her name is found on a headstone there.

Margaret Beck:
A government assisted passenger who died January 29th, 1876 while still aboard the Jessie Osbourne. She was aged 4 years from Rich Hill, Ireland. Margaret was the daughter of James and Eliza Jane Beck. The ship was signalled into Lyttelton Harbour at 7pm - so could have been buried at sea?

Regards,

Ashley

"With time, persistance and help, we can fill in all the missing pieces of the puzzle."

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Lookups.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 May 23 05:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Ashley,

Would this not indicate the burial took place at Temuka Cemetery?    ;)

Surname
First Name
Voyce, Jessey
Record Details
Address   Unknown
Age at Death   3
Date of Death   1 Jan 1875
Cemetery   Temuka Cemetery
Section   General
Row   161
Plot   52

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 May 23 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

Below are people I am hoping (even if it is a long shot) someone may find a burial information/record for. I have researched the Christchurch Library and the online Christchurch Cemetery Search database to no avail. These people are most likely buried around Lyttelton.

Hi Ashley

When you say you've "researched the Christchurch Library" ... can you clarify what that has entailed, please ?

*  Does that mean that you've searched the Church Registers BDM card index facility at  the Christchurch Library ?

As you'll recall, [from your recent Franz SCHMIDT search] there is a "burial book" available for - at least - the Holy Trinty Church, Lyttelton and possibly for St. Saviour's West Lyttelton (check with ChCh Libarary as can't see a "code" for this latter church ?? ) .   Code RCL/A (Catholic churches at Lyttelton and Akaroa) possibly have burial records / burial books).

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 May 23 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Ashley,

Would this not indicate the burial took place at Temuka Cemetery?    ;)

Surname
First Name
Voyce, Jessey
Record Details
Address   Unknown
Age at Death   3
Date of Death   1 Jan 1875
Cemetery   Temuka Cemetery
Section   General
Row   161
Plot   52

Minniehaha.

The above information appears to refer only to the headstone which commemorates six children of Elizabeth and Henry VOYCE :

The death of Jessie VOYCE was registered at Lyttelton - 1st quarter 1875.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 May 23 21:30 BST (UK) »
Headstone photo - VOYCE children - Temuka Cemetery  :

https://www.timaru.govt.nz/services/community-and-culture/cemeteries/cemetery-search?BurialId=37771

The first named child on headstone, Edith - aged 12 months, also died at sea aboard the "Crusader" on 15 November 1874 (en route to NZ).

The headstone was erected sometime after the death of Mabel VOYCE in 1885.

You would need to check with Temuka Cemetery (@ Timaru District Council) whether the record they have for Jessey (sic) /  Jessie VOYCE is from a burial record ... or just simply a record of her name appearing on a headstone located at the cemetery.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 May 23 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi again Ashley

As you seem to require a lot of information for burials of persons who were emigrating to Canterbury,  New Zealand, but who died en route or upon arrival, I'm just interested to know ....

>   have you ever determined what rules were in place regarding "burials at sea" when emigrants died  whilst still aboard their vessel, but the death occurred within the harbour limits ?   
(Canterbury Provincial Government rules ? )

~   Lu

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 00:22 BST (UK) »
Hi again Ashley

As you seem to require a lot of information for burials of persons who were emigrating to Canterbury,  New Zealand, but who died en route or upon arrival, I'm just interested to know ....

>   have you ever determined what rules were in place regarding "burials at sea" when emigrants died  whilst still aboard their vessel, but the death occurred within the harbour limits ?   
(Canterbury Provincial Government rules ? )

~   Lu

I know once a ship was within the harbour any deaths were buried on land. It seems if a ship anchored at Lyttelton a body would be buried at a Lyttelton Cemetery and ship anchored at Ripa Island were buried at Camp bay. But it does depend on the time they died - I found passenger Christina McAlpine Reid of the British Empire buried at Barbadoes Cemetery, even though the ship was anchored at Camp Bay the day she died.
"With time, persistance and help, we can fill in all the missing pieces of the puzzle."

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

Hi Ashley

When you say you've "researched the Christchurch Library" ... can you clarify what that has entailed, please ?

*  Does that mean that you've searched the Church Registers BDM card index facility at  the Christchurch Library ?

As you'll recall, [from your recent Franz SCHMIDT search] there is a "burial book" available for - at least - the Holy Trinty Church, Lyttelton and possibly for St. Saviour's West Lyttelton (check with ChCh Libarary as can't see a "code" for this latter church ?? ) .   Code RCL/A (Catholic churches at Lyttelton and Akaroa) possibly have burial records / burial books).

~  Lu

Thank you Lu - I'll look into that book. It sounds like it could be very helpful.

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

Hi Ashley

~  Lu

Yes I checked the Church Registers BDM card index facility