Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 28th May  (Read 2192 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Diary summary week ending 28th May
« on: Monday 22 May 23 08:00 BST (UK) »
Good morning folks, 
Here beginnith  yet another week , hope everyone is in good spirits.

Hope everyone had good weekend , days here start off bright and deteriorates as the evening approaches and the heating kicks  in, I could do without it but my husband feels the cold

Having looked for bedding plants  I think the plants are suffering and late this year, wasn't impressed with a  local nursery I normally use,  perhaps next week with a bit if sunshine they might come on,  I saw a prog recenty and it was showing  when you plant cut the flowers off, makes them work harder to put down roots and  they will come on better within a  few weeks,  never heard that before.

Viktoria, hope your sons plans turn out fine and he can settle next door-to-door you, company for both of you when you need it..

Take care, happy week

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 28th May
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 May 23 09:15 BST (UK) »
Morning LM and everyone.
Another Monday already. It's scary how quickly the days go by and some of the outstanding jobs just never get done. I still haven't got all the weeds out in my garden and next job is to trim the hedge - one of our least favourite jobs. Sun currently shining here.
North East of England

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 May 23 13:13 BST (UK) »
Top of the morning to you both.   It's so warm here in the north west that I actually went outside without the need to wear a cardigan :-)

My son now does my garden and there's been a good show of blooms from late March onwards.  He's even got aquilegia to grow, something I could never do.  It's noticeable that the pansies have been providing food for the usual suspects.  We use green hessian "grow bags" to produce our crops of potatoes and they look as though we will have a bumper crop.

Today I read a gardening article which asked people not to kill slugs and snails.

The decline in bird numbers and bird species in this country is due is due to shortage of food such as slugs and snails.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 May 23 14:14 BST (UK) »
The time before last when I mowed my lawn I watched numerous birds almost dancing  up and down on the mowed grass, hope the ate my slugs ,  would  prefer that way than me to spend a lot of money on new plants and the pesky slugs  ate them.

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 May 23 14:35 BST (UK) »
The time before last when I mowed my lawn I watched numerous birds almost dancing  up and down on the mowed grass, hope the ate my slugs ,  would  prefer that way than me to spend a lot of money on new plants and the pesky slugs  ate them.

LM

When I was young we moved to the countryside.  It was a newly built house with french windows looking out onto the back lawn.  We broke five spades and forks digging the ground prior to laying grass seed for the lawn.

Year two we would look out of the large back windows and see a host of song thrushes jumping up and down on the lawn.   Apparently this caused the worms to think it was raining and they would poke their heads up into the air and that's when the thrushes dined very well thank you.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 May 23 14:45 BST (UK) »
I'm starting to regard Aquilegia as a weed now! Many decades back my Mum planted a couple of lovely clumps of it for me - She'd rather have planted them in straight rows, creating "parks garden" patterns, I know - but the survivors have "gone rogue", mostly blue, just a few pale pink, and they're now battling it out with the forget-me-nots ( I never planted those, can't stand the colour) and lily-of-the valley, which at least smother out most of the other weeds!
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 May 23 15:12 BST (UK) »
Yes Rena, I think I is a bit like a rain dance except it doesn't rain if we jump up and down on the lawn.

I think Aquilegia is prolific, looks nice but I think it travels , they,   like lily of the valley I think should be put in areas where you don't   mind them travelling, I am a bit like a uniform gardener where my plants have to be in certain places, grow up straight and not travel.

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 May 23 22:48 BST (UK) »
Aquilegia is rampant in and around my gardens, I do like them fortunately.
Oh how I wish Lily of the valley were so prolific!
Not to moan though, I am pleased to have most flowers, violets are getting everywhere,self seeded and a pleasure.

I think I am going to have to complain in advance about my  new neighbour -
he wants to site  a big shed where it will block out a lot of sunshine in my garden!
Well we will see, he can do his own cooking,washing, ,ironing etc!
That’ll learn him!
Not to cross old ladies,especially when his mother!

Nipped to Bury today, got some tins of ham for grandson,does not seem to be a M&S where they are.

Well an earlier night I hope, either way I don’t  sleep well.
I am sure there is a ghost here!
Funny noises etc in the night.

So much sunshine today ,lovely, a cool breeze at times so not unpleasantly hot.

Nice that L.M has her car back, and will be as she wants it.

Well coffee and biscuits time so night night .
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 May 23 08:02 BST (UK) »
Morning All,
Oh  dear Viktoria, don't fall out with the  neighbours!! I am sure you could have a quiet word with him,  of not ask for the worms that have gone into his garden after you had astro  turf, ha  ha!!, make a suggestion of where else he can site it, we all need sunshine, not that we get much of it at the moment.

Looks a nice day again as it did yesterday but it is still not very warm.

Not a lot going on for me except we have 2 friends coming tomorrow,  only seen them once since lockdown, they have  all our Christmas presents, I managed to go by bus , walked 40 minutes and left them on the doorstep earlier in the year, they had Covid at the time .

By the way, has Gibel been onboard lately?, not seen her, hope she is well.

Covid is still around, a friend of mine has had it quite a few times despite the jabs,  younger than me but she does mix a lot, she is very bad this time, so take care.

Enjoy the day

LM.

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London