Author Topic: Helen WILSON  (Read 332 times)

Offline Janley61

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Helen WILSON
« on: Monday 22 May 23 13:00 BST (UK) »
Looking for the parents of Helen Wilson born c 1883 in Stirling.
Helen's spouse is William Livingston born c 1885. (can't find marriage details)
They had a daughter Agnes Louisa Livingston (my great grandma) born 27th October 1872 in Kirkdale, Liverpool.
Helen's maiden name on the birth certificate  of Agnes Louise Livingston is stated as WILSON.
The family lived in Liverpool according to the 1871/1881/1901/1911 census'.  Helen has stated her birth place was Sterling.
I've hit a brick wall with her now.
Hope someone can help -
Thank you in advance

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: HELEN WILSON
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 May 23 19:47 BST (UK) »
Er ... they could hardly get married by 1872 if they were born in 1883/1885 :)

I see from the 1881 census that they were aged 47 and 48, so (if that is accurate) born 1833/4 and 1832/3 respectively.

They had daughters Mary, 26 and Helen, 21, both born in Scotland. In 1871 their ages were given as 15 and 10, so they were born about 1854/6 and 1859/61.

You are in luck because Mary was born in Glasgow on 17 September 1855. 1855 certificates contain lots of information that was not recorded in any other year, so go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk SP, buy some credits and use some to view that birth certificate.

In 1861 there's a family in Glasgow consisting of William L, 28, rope maker; Helen, 29; Mary, 4; Agnes, 6; and Helen, under 1 year. Helen senior was born in Stirling and the rest in Glasgow.

In the church records at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk there is a record of their marriage in Glasgow on 17 November 1854.

In 1851, in Glasgow, is a family consisting of William L, 46, quay labourer, born Stirling; Agnes, wife, 55; William, son, 16, jr ropemaker, born Glasgow; and two servants. So it looks as if this could be your William. I have yet to find them in 1841, though if Agnes was his stepmother rather than his mother there is a possible family with mother named Elizabeth. There is a baptism of William, son of William Livingston and Agnes née Livingston in Glasgow on 23 October 1834.

In 1851 there's a Hellen Wilson, 19, born Stirling, servant to John Geddes in Glasgow. She could be the daughter of William Wilson, 40, and Isabella Wilson, 40, in the 1841 census aged 9. Like her sisters Isabella,7 and Margaret, 5, this Helen W was born outside Lanarkshire.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Janley61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HELEN WILSON
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 May 23 20:12 BST (UK) »
Oops the date of birth for Helen is c. 1833 and William Livingston c1835, typing error above. Their daughter Agnes Louisa Livingston born 1872 in Liverpool. Agnes' birth certificate states Helen's maiden name as Wilson and Stirling as her birth place.  Agnes' marriage certificate states father William livingston living in Liverpool at the time of her marriage in 1898 to Laurence Matthews. I did come across a marriage of Helen and William on the 17th Nov 1854 in Barony, Glasgow but not sure if its the right person. Sorry for any confusion.

Offline Janley61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Helen WILSON
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 May 23 17:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you do much for your info. I will research everything. Thanks again

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 May 23 23:08 BST (UK) »
Birth for Agnes for research purposes only

Dec qtr 1872
Agnes Louisa Livingston West Derby 8B 392. GRO online confirms mmn as Wilson
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Janley61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 May 23 13:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carol. I have the bith certificate that's how I found mothers maiden name but have been struggling to find info on Helen. Had a few tips from others which im grateful for just need to research. Thanks again