Author Topic: Locked out of RootsChat by Cloudflare  (Read 278 times)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Tracing Welsh/Irish roots from Asia with no money!
    • View Profile
Locked out of RootsChat by Cloudflare
« on: Wednesday 24 May 23 02:51 BST (UK) »
For the last couple of days (Monday 22nd May 2023 to Tuesday 23rd) I've been totally locked out of RootsChat by Cloudflare.

It starts with Cloudflare's "Verify you"re human" tick box, which I always tick. That's the first screenshot I've attached.

It then changes to "Verifying". That's the second screenshot.

After that it used to let me into the site.

But for the past couple of days it's not been letting me in. Instead it's been going to the "Verify you're human" again, resulting in me being stuck in an interminable Cloudflare loop.

I couldn't even look at RootsChat to find a contact address. I ended up searching on Google for "Cloudflare verify you are human loop" and it seems to be a not uncommon problem. I found several posts on the Cloudfare website's community forum from irritated end users who'd been suddenly locked out of various websites by this.

I tried using a different computer. I tried two different mobile phones on both wifi and mobile network. On each I tried two different browsers. I switched off my router, left it a few minutes, turned it back on and tried again. Same problem every time.

So I posted a new topic on their Turnstile forum (I believe turnstile is the  name Cloudflare give to the Captcha-less verify you're human, which is what RootsChat appear to be using). Here's the link in case anybody's interested.

https://community.cloudflare.com/t/stuck-in-verify-you-are-human-loop/513131

I'm not sure whether it was pure coincidence, but less than an hour later I was able to get into RootsChat again.

I've still had no replies to the topic at Cloudflare
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)
Mallow, Co.Cork: BROWNE (1895-1935)
Caher, Co.Tipp: BROWNE (pre1895), PURTELL(pre1895)
Cashel, Co.Tipp: FANNING (pre1886)
Llanelly, Carms: GRIFFITHS (pre1934), REYNOLDS (pre1901), WILLIAMS (pre1934)
Ton Pentre, Glams: LEWIS (pre1901)