Author Topic: Orkney and Shetland Defence Force  (Read 543 times)

Offline corblimey

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Orkney and Shetland Defence Force
« on: Sunday 04 June 23 01:59 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information about Ron Douglas who was posted to the Orkney and Shetland Defence Force c1943-1948.  I believe that he might have been also posted to Kent/Sussex during the War, possibly in the Royal Artillery guarding the air force bases during the War.  I think that he had Welsh parentage.  Born c 1920.

Offline steviebyday

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Orkney and Shetland Defence Force
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 June 23 18:58 BST (UK) »
 there's a Ronald, Alexander, Douglas 1488078, 268 bty 534(Orkney)coast regiment R A

Offline corblimey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 June 23 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Steviebyday,  That's fantastic, thank you so much.  This is the first information that I have been able to find out about Ron Douglas.  I will follow it up.  Many thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 June 23 10:26 BST (UK) »
Not quite relevant but there's an obit in The Times today of a L/Cpl who was serving there, volunteered for the SAS, ended up with a very eventful tour of duty up to 50 miles ahead of the Allied invasion lines in Op Overlord - and later on.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline corblimey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 15:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information Graham.  I am interested in Orkney during the War so following this lead up might lead me to Ron Douglas.

To Steviebyday, thank you again for the information on Ron Douglas and I am sure that this is the person I am looking for, but I have just been in touch with the family of Ronald Alexander Douglas, born Camberwell, 1920, and they say that the Ronald Alexander Douglas in their family was not posted to Orkney as far as they are aware, and is not the gentleman in uniform in the photos that I posted on Ancestry.  He is wearing the uniform of the Orkney and Shetland Defence Forces.  Can you advise me where on the National Archives website information on army personnel posted to Orkney as part of the Orkney and Shetland Defence Forces can be found.  There must be another Ron Douglas who was posted there 1944-1947.  Many thanks, once again for your efforts to help me.

Offline corblimey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 15:36 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I think that I got muddled there.  I assumed that the information that you sent to me about Ronald Alexander Douglas came from the National Archives website.  Can you please advise where you found the information about him, his service number, and army unit?  Many thanks.

Offline steviebyday

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 18:35 BST (UK) »
 Royal Artillery attestation list, for his number, and 268bty, then googled 268 bty which was part of 534 (Orkney) coastal regiment, there are seven Ronald Douglas listed,

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 18:38 BST (UK) »
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline corblimey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 00:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this new information.  I followed the steps that you suggested and came up with FindMyPast (where one Ronald Alexander Douglas was listed under his number) and pay to view.  Then I tried again and came up with the National Archives which had information about the Orkney unit of the RA.  No list of names.  I am sorry but I will need more help, perhaps the exact link to take me to the page with the 7 Ron Douglases listed?  I am not very competent with computers, or searching on the internet, so your help is much needed, and appreciated. :)