Author Topic: Help identifying Victorian era Military uniform  (Read 557 times)

Offline JamesNewsome

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help identifying Victorian era Military uniform
« on: Monday 05 June 23 17:10 BST (UK) »
Has anyone any idea of what era this photo would have been taken and what type of regiment he was in? It's very hard to see any of the details up close in the photo

I'm not sure exactly who he is or where he lived, but it's from an old CDV photo album given to my ancestor in 1896 who lived just outside Belfast

Offline Mick_Dolan86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying Victorian era Military uniform
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 June 23 20:36 BST (UK) »
The medal on the right is the Khedive's Star, a campaign medal issued to men who had participated in the campaigns in Egypt and the Sudan between 1882 and 1891.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khedive's_Star

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 02:34 BST (UK) »
Could the first (left-hand) medal be the Khedive's Sudan Medal ? And then the middle one might be the Queen's Sudan Medal, although I would expect the order of wear to be the other way round.  Hard to tell !
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 06:14 BST (UK) »
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 06:36 BST (UK) »
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline Mick_Dolan86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 09:20 BST (UK) »
Could the first (left-hand) medal be the Khedive's Sudan Medal ? And then the middle one might be the Queen's Sudan Medal, although I would expect the order of wear to be the other way round.  Hard to tell !

The photo is dated 1896 so prior to the reign of King Edward VII. Those who served in the Sudan between 1884 and 1889 were awarded the Egypt Medal (1882–1889) and were entitled to the Khedive's Star. I think the middle medal is probably the Egypt Medal with a couple of clasps on the ribbon obscuring the design. The left hand medal is probably from another campaign. At a guess I'd say the Indian General Service Medal 1854-95.

Offline JamesNewsome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 12:07 BST (UK) »
The medal on the right is the Khedive's Star, a campaign medal issued to men who had participated in the campaigns in Egypt and the Sudan between 1882 and 1891.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khedive's_Star

I'm amazed that you identified the medal as the detail is so poor. It looks just like the Khedive's Star as you say and you can just about see a crescent moon above the bronze star.

I looked at the medal roll for those who were awarded it on the National Archives. It shows the Royal Marine Light Infantry, Royal Marine Artillery, and the Navy received that medal.

Is it possible this is the Royal Marine Light Infantry uniform while in Sudan? but the hat looks really curious. I'm not sure where to find solid info about uniforms of that era.

Offline JamesNewsome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 12:16 BST (UK) »
The back of the photo is dated 1882-1902:

https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~victorianphotographs/history/taylor/taylor.htm

Tony

Many thanks for the info. It supports that he was involved in the Egypt and/or Sudan campaigns