Author Topic: 1930 US census: James Sweeney's (head of 1519 Ferdinand Av, Detroit, Mich) age  (Read 641 times)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Tracing Welsh/Irish roots from Asia with no money!
    • View Profile
Re: 1930 US census: James Sweeney's (head of 1519 Ferdinand Av, Detroit, Mich) age
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 15:23 BST (UK) »
Did you see the added bit about James’ father’s name - according to the immigration record (which may or may not be for the same fellow as previously mentioned), his father’s name was James.  Also, did your James have a brother named Martin?

Thanks Lisa, yes I did.

FamilySearch has a scan of the Baltic passenger list, but that James Sweeney's father being James rules him out, both as my Patrick's uncle, and as the head at 1519 Ferdinand. The James Sweeney at 1519 Ferdinand (who may be our Patrick Corbett's uncle despite the mismatch of birth date) was the son of Patrick and Margaret - both 17 Aug 1913 Manhattan marriage record and 11 Mar 1931 Detroit death record agree on their given names.

I've attached a FamilySearch tree screenshot of our Patrick's Sweeney uncles and aunts.
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)
Mallow, Co.Cork: BROWNE (1895-1935)
Caher, Co.Tipp: BROWNE (pre1895), PURTELL(pre1895)
Cashel, Co.Tipp: FANNING (pre1886)
Llanelly, Carms: GRIFFITHS (pre1934), REYNOLDS (pre1901), WILLIAMS (pre1934)
Ton Pentre, Glams: LEWIS (pre1901)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1930 US census: James Sweeney's (head of 1519 Ferdinand Av, Detroit, Mich) age
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 15:46 BST (UK) »
It's late evening where I am, so I'll sleep on it.
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 15:46 BST (UK) »
On 19 March 1926 my great uncle Patrick Corbett (30y1m, so born 1896) and his uncle Thomas Sweeney (46, so born 1879-80) set off from Southampton for the USA on SS Orduna, stating that they were joining Thomas brother, Patrick's uncle, James Sweeney at 1519 Fernand [sic] Ave, Detroit Mich.

Thank you for including the years of birth…I’m mathematically challenged so having ages and years of birth is really helpful (for me).  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve counted on my fingers when researching.  ;D

Thank you for showing the additional family members.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 15:48 BST (UK) »
Have a good evening.  It’s the start of our day here.  I’ll continue for a bit longer and come back later today in case anyone finds anything interesting.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 19:07 BST (UK) »
In the 1930, census living with James Sweeney is a boarder:
James Mulroy, age 46, Single, born Irish Free State, immigration date unknown, no occupation.

Do you have any knowledge of this man’s ties to your family?  :-\. I wonder if he was truly just a boarder or if he knew the family in Ireland.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 19:37 BST (UK) »
There were a lot of Sweeneys living in Detroit in 1930 (per the city’s directory).  According to an internet search, Detroit had a population of over 1.5 million residents.

James Sweeney’s address was 1519 Ferdinand.
A Ruth Sweeney was living at 1551 Ferdinand.  A possible relative or just a coincidence due to the common surname and large population.

Added:
1922 Detroit City Directory
Sweeney, Jas C.  reprmn.   h 1519 Ferdinand av.

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 16:52 BST (UK) »
Since all we know for sure about our James Sweeney (my great granduncle) son of Patrick Swiney and Margaret Hayes/Keys, is that he was born on 25 Jul 1870 I've decided to do a bit more digging.

I'm also wondering whether perhaps the James Sweeney at 1519 Ferdinand was perhaps a more distant relative ? Not his mother's brother, but possibly a cousin of his mother (Bridget Sweeney b1869) ? Maybe a bit more digging will turn up another younger James.

Regarding our James Sweeney (my great granduncle) I found that in 1901, age 32,  he was at 33 Mulberry Lane Mitchelstown Co Cork with his parents and 3 younger siblings. But I can't find him in the 1911 census. So it's possible that he did go to America, but so far no luck finding him.

I've really not touched the Sweeney side of the family as far as research goes, and the surname Mulroy isn't familiar at all.

Edited to add: I've just found that our James (my great granduncle) was in Ireland in 1906, informant for his father's death registration.

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 June 23 07:52 BST (UK) »
Our James Sweeney, Patrick Corbett's mother's brother born 1870 is on the FamilySearch tree here - https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/landscape/969S-TC9) - I added him.

The James Sweeney and family at 1519 Ferdinand already existed in the FamilySearch tree here as James Sweeney Sr and Mary Casey - https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/landscape/GWW6-RQQ

I haven't merged the two James yet because of the discrepancy in ages plus the small possibility that Patrick's 'uncle' James Sweeney at 1519 Ferdinand is not his mother's brother but a more distant relative who I don't yet know about. I've added notes to both James.

+ + + + + + + + + +

While working through the documentary evidence I noticed that Mary Casey's death record gives her birth date as 1 Feb 1885, whereas her civil birth registration gives 1 Feb 1879.

So six years difference.

Maybe James age being out by nine years isn't such a show-stopper ?