Author Topic: 1930 US census: James Sweeney's (head of 1519 Ferdinand Av, Detroit, Mich) age  (Read 642 times)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Tracing Welsh/Irish roots from Asia with no money!
    • View Profile
On 19 March 1926 my great uncle Patrick Corbett (30y1m, so born 1896) and his uncle Thomas Sweeney (46, so born 1879-80) set off from Southampton for the USA on SS Orduna, stating that they were joining Thomas brother, Patrick's uncle, James Sweeney at 1519 Fernand [sic] Ave, Detroit Mich.

The 1930 census record for 1519 Ferdinand Avenue, Detroit, Mich is free on FamilySearch and seems to confirm this - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GRHV-7T3?cc=1810731&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AX79B-JQ7

James Sweeney, head of household, is age 52, so born 1877-8
The second boarder at that address is Patrick Corbet, age 33 (so born 1896-7).

We know that Patrick Corbett was born 21 Sep 1897 in Mitchelstown, Co Cork
His uncle Thomas Sweeney was born  22 Feb 1880 in Mitchelstown, Co Cork
His uncle James Sweeney was born  26 Jul 1870 in Mitchelstown, Co Cork

Thomas' age fits, and Patrick's age is a bit out (one year). But the problem is that James' age is 7-8 years out, which seems a bit much.

How common is it for ages to be that far out (about 15%) on a census ?
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)
Mallow, Co.Cork: BROWNE (1895-1935)
Caher, Co.Tipp: BROWNE (pre1895), PURTELL(pre1895)
Cashel, Co.Tipp: FANNING (pre1886)
Llanelly, Carms: GRIFFITHS (pre1934), REYNOLDS (pre1901), WILLIAMS (pre1934)
Ton Pentre, Glams: LEWIS (pre1901)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile

Ages and immigration dates can commonly be out.

Were the parents names correct on the death certificate  ?

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1930 US census: James Sweeney's (head of 1519 Ferdinand Av, Detroit, Mich) age
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 10:51 BST (UK) »
No, the mother's surname doesn't match. Our James' parents were recorded as Patrick Swiney and Margaret Hayes in the birth register (see attached image) although we're fairly certain his mother's maiden name was actually Keys and the registrar made an error - all the other children of Patrick Swiney, shoemaker, of Mulberry have mother Margaret Keys/Keyes/Keays.

If James' mother's surname on his 11 Mar 1931 death record is correct then we have the wrong marriage for the couple at 1519 Ferdinand:

17 Aug 1913 Manhattan marriage record for James Sweeney (35, so est b1837-1838) and Mary Casey (32, so est b1880-1881) which gives James' parents as Patrick Sweeney and Margaret Hayes, and Mary's parents as Michael Casey and Nora Hayes.
(Link: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/sources/viewedit/3JFG-9LS?context)

The brides parents names on that marriage match a 17 Jul 1948 Detroit death record for Mary Sweeney (born 1 Feb 1885) which gives her parents as Michael Casey and Nora Hayes.
(Link: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/sources/viewedit/3XGG-XVF?context)

I keep coming back to Patrick Corbett's 1926 statement that he's going to join his uncle James Sweeney at 1519 Fernand [sic] Ave, Detroit, plus the fact that in 1930 he is indeed at 1519 Ferdinand boarding with the household of James Sweeney.

I considered the possibility that there was a second uncle James Sweeney, but can find nothing to support that.

One other oddity. There is a Margaret Lyons on the birth records of some of James' and Thomas' siblings - "Informant - Margaret Lyons, grandmother, present at birth", and their paternal grandfather is also Patrick Swiney. So Patrick Swiney and Margaret Lyons could be James' paternal grandparents.
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1930 US census: James Sweeney's (head of 1519 Ferdinand Av, Detroit, Mich) age
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 12:32 BST (UK) »
Death records are notoriously wrong on parents' names, so I wouldn't give that too much weight.  People are grieving, and the informant may not have ever known things like the deceased's mother's maiden name.

In case it helps, you can see the image of the 1913 marriage for James & Mary here - https://a860-historicalvitalrecords.nyc.gov/view/8867858 

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 14:13 BST (UK) »
…His uncle James Sweeney was born  26 Jul 1870 in Mitchelstown, Co Cork

Thomas' age fits, and Patrick's age is a bit out (one year). But the problem is that James' age is 7-8 years out, which seems a bit much.

How common is it for ages to be that far out (about 15%) on a census ?

To be honest, I’ve not absorbed all of the details for this topic, but in case this helps…

In 1930, James and Mary were ages 52 and 50.
    Their children were James, Jr - 15, William - 14, Mary - 13 (and John, 9 and Ellen, 5).

In 1920, James and Mary were ages 35 and 34.
    Their children were James - 5, William - 4, and Mary J. - 2 9/12.

I would guess that this is for the same family as the childrens’ details are almost identical, even though the parents ages are a bit off?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 14:29 BST (UK) »
Quote from: link=topic=873483.msg7450298#msg7450298 date=1685983209
…We know that Patrick Corbett was born 21 Sep 1897 in Mitchelstown, Co Cork
His uncle Thomas Sweeney was born  22 Feb 1880 in Mitchelstown, Co Cork
His uncle James Sweeney was born  26 Jul 1870 in Mitchelstown, Co Cork

James Sweeney’s (address 1519 Ferdinand) death certificate states that he was born May 15, 1879.   ???
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 14:43 BST (UK) »
Perhaps FamilySearch has the following?

Ship Baltic, arrived New York, 30 August 1907
James Sweeney, age 28, Joiner(?), born ?idleton, Co. Cork
James details are crossed off, so perhaps he didn’t sail?
Under his name is
Martin(?) Sweeney, age 23, Labourer, born ?idleton, Co. Cork

Possibly going to brother-in-law Thomas McGrath(?), New York.

Added: their father was James Sweeney.

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 14:51 BST (UK) »
Death records are notoriously wrong on parents' names, so I wouldn't give that too much weight.  People are grieving, and the informant may not have ever known things like the deceased's mother's maiden name.

In case it helps, you can see the image of the 1913 marriage for James & Mary here - https://a860-historicalvitalrecords.nyc.gov/view/8867858

Thanks for the NYC DORIC link to the actual marriage certificate - always nice to see the original.

Regarding James' mother's surname on the death certificate, I had a suspicion that Mary might have accidentally given his grandmother's maiden surname.

However, I'm at a loss for a feasible explanation for James birth date of 15 May 1879 on his death certificate, assuming that he really is our Patrick Corbett's uncle born 26 Jul 1870, which I think he is.

James Sweeney’s (address 1519 Ferdinand) death certificate states that he was born May 15, 1879.   ???

Yes, that's really puzzling me.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 15:01 BST (UK) »

Yes, that's really puzzling me.

I don’t remember the details as it was decades ago, but we have a family friend or someone else who didn’t know/couldn’t remember when he/she was born.  Didn’t know the day, month or year.  I suppose that can happen?

Did you see the added bit about James’ father’s name - according to the immigration record (which may or may not be for the same fellow as previously mentioned), his father’s name was James.  Also, did your James have a brother named Martin?