Author Topic: Richard Linford c.1810, Birmingham  (Read 304 times)

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Linford c.1810, Birmingham
« on: Tuesday 06 June 23 22:32 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone provide any information on the above? Everything I currently believe is speculative.
He appears to have married Hannah Burgess(born c,1809) The 1841 census shows what I believe to be them living in Nelson St., Birmingham with a few kids all of whom have disappeared by 1861 when they seem to have been living in Barr St., Hockley with children as follows: Albert (1844), James (1846), Jesse (1850), George (1850), Charles (1854) and David (1859). After that I can find no further reference.
If my information is correct Richard is a policeman in 1841 but got done for larceny at some later date.
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Keith

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Linford c.1810, Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 06:57 BST (UK) »
Birmingham burial record site has a Richard Linford, July 1866, burial at Witton Cemetery. There are only two people of that name recorded, the other much later.

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 10:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bearnan, the Richard buried in 1866 is my gt grandfather, born 1803. He married Catherine (Keturah) Burgess. Suddenly we noticed the births of Linford children with the middle name Burgess but they couldn't be from our couple since the dates were, in at least one case, just 3 months away from the birth of my grandfather. My aim in this instance is to try to determine whether the other Richard or his wife Hannah were related to either our Richard or his wife Catherine.

Rootschat is telling me that I have a new PM but won't let me see it. Please will the person who has kindly sent it reply here.

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Valerie,

Finally found a way into your PM. Don't know what's going on with messages but they're certainly not working properly at this end so can't send a direct reply.
Thanks for what you sent me. The living person you mention is actually my cousin.

Regards,

Keith

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 June 23 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
The Richard and Hannah Linford couple you mention are under Burgess in 1851
1851 20 Trenter St Birmingham
William Burgess 42 bricklayers labourer Drosford Hampshire
Hannah 42 Portsmouth
William 15 Porstsmouth (seemingly bapt Feb 1837 Southsea as William Charles Burgess -father Newport St Sergeant )
Agnes 13 Birmingham
Alfred 10
James 7
Eliza 5 (Born Mar 1846 as Eliza Linford Burgess)
Jesse 2
George 2

The change of name may have happened when Richard was released from prison after 18months for larceny June 1849-Dec 1850.
He was a policeman attached to the Sandpits Division and was sent by his Superior James Bliss to change 3 £5 notes and did not come back.The money was to pay for the constables wages.

Other children in Hampshire-Harriet Victoria 19 Dec 1832 Portsea St Mary ,Agnes Emma 16.3.1838 Portsea Long Acre Serg in RN?

The birth index for Henry Burgess Linford in Sep 1840 gives his mother as Cook.
He's buried Key Hill cemetery 1844.

Hannah Cook married a William Burgess 9 th Nov 1831 at Alverstoke. Wit John and Anne Churm.
Hannah Cook bapt 15 Sep 1808 Portsea St John d of James and Ann Cooke looks the best bet.
And William Burgess 17th April 1808 at Droxford  s of William and Anne.

But is William Burgess Richard Linford?

Ciderdrinker

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 June 23 12:25 BST (UK) »
Good Morning
I've dug a bit deeper with Richard Linford and William Burgess and I do think they are two different men.
Hannah Cook married William Burgess in 1831 ,all was well until 1839 when William was court martialled and throne out of the Royal Marines

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10093194

However there is a Richard Linford also in the Royal Marines (A Gunner 2d Company and also under foreign and Army marriages )at Portsea about the same time.
In Portsea on 21 Nov 1827 he marries a Catherine Burgess
He signs the register  The bride makes a cross.Wit Adaline Bedbrook and Henry Tomlin

It looks like Catherine was William Burgesses sister baptised 20th May 1810 Droxford to William and Anne Burgess.

So the two couples would have known each other .One seems to be your Richard Linford and his wife Catherine/Keturah .
So it Seems Richard Linford born 1810 and wife Hannah are brother in law and sister in law to your couple.Helpfully changing their name to Linford just to make things awkward .

Just to add a little about the Burgesses

William and Anne Burgess had the following children in Droxford
William 17.4.1808,Catherine 20.5.1810,Jessie 17.4.1812-25th  and Elizabeth 16.5.1813.
The couple married at Portsea 25.1.1806 William Burgess bach otp and Anne Draper spinster otp  wit John Smith and Richard Rudge the clerk
Anne was buried 21 Feb 1815 age 27 years .
William remarried an Elizabeth Jones widow 1.3.1829 again at Portsea  who he is with on the 1841 and 1851 censuses and had another daughter Charlotte 25 Oct 1829.(of Hill labourer)
Williams birthplace is Boarhunt Hants in 1781.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 June 23 15:43 BST (UK) »
Can't thank you enough Ciderdrinker. No idea where you obtained that wealth of information but I'm extremely grateful for it because it, especially the connection to Droxford, proves beyond doubt that the families were related. Now to update my family tree.

Thanks again,

Keith