Author Topic: Army Deserters 1828-1840 on FindMyPast - source of data?  (Read 254 times)

Offline Ouse who

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Army Deserters 1828-1840 on FindMyPast - source of data?
« on: Thursday 08 June 23 13:57 BST (UK) »
Following on from my earlier recent posts can anyone tell me the source of the information in the Deserters Lists?

Seems lists come from Manchester and Lancashire Family History Society and the Family History Federation, so was this information sourced from a single or several sources - and where might it/they be held? I contacted the former some time ago asking the same question but thusfar no response.

I am visiting National Archive shortly to view some Muster Rolls and wonder if it/they are held there though a NA search doesn't suggest anything as far as I can see.

Thank you, O.

Bedfordshire: Albone, Brightman, Bowler, Hutchings, Islip, Johnson, Kidman,  Maynard, Pugh, Purser, Sharman, Thickpenny, Underwood, Young.
Devon: Banston, Blunt, Fisher, May, Parnell, Palmer, Rundle, Saunders.
Monmouthshire: Blunt

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Army Deserters Lists on FindMyPast - source of data?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 June 23 14:13 BST (UK) »
Deserters 1914-1919 (13,301 records) were sourced from the Police Gazette. The Police Gazette can be viewed on line via FindMyPast or British Newspaper Archive.

The collection you refer to covers the period 1828-1840 (36,576  records).

Offline Ouse who

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 June 23 14:58 BST (UK) »
Yes I should have said it's the 1828-1840 collection I am referring to.

I had tried a look up in the Police Gazette previously in FindMyPast and BNA but neither seem to include 1833 the year I am interested in - hence my posting.

Moderators - are you able to move my posting to the correct board please? My error.

O.
Bedfordshire: Albone, Brightman, Bowler, Hutchings, Islip, Johnson, Kidman,  Maynard, Pugh, Purser, Sharman, Thickpenny, Underwood, Young.

Offline Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 June 23 15:29 BST (UK) »
Last year when I needed to look for a deserter in some of the Police Gazettes which are not online, I found they were available at the National Archives.  I'm not sure which year or years you need, but for example, years 1828 to 1845 are HO 75/1 to HO 17/18.  They should be possible to find through the catalogue, by searching for the title and then homing in on the year or years so that you can order what you need.

Drosybont
Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.

Offline Ouse who

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 June 23 16:39 BST (UK) »
That is exactly what I am after. 1833 copy of Hue and Cry and Police Gazette HO 75/6

Thank you so much! O