Author Topic: County Sutherland Burial Records  (Read 279 times)

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
County Sutherland Burial Records
« on: Saturday 10 June 23 22:28 BST (UK) »
This topic came up a few years ago, but might benefit from a re-visit.

As we know, the late Christine Stokes and the late Angi Lamb photographed and transcribed the burial records of cemeteries all across Sutherland a decade or so ago. Following their respective deaths the website containing the pictures and transcripts was taken down a couple of years ago.

On a recent visit to Balnakeil I met some biology students who are using the graves for research into lichen activity on stone. The combination of lichen and further weathering has made some of the gravestones that were legible a decade ago nearly impossible to read; in another twenty years many of the horizontal sandstone markers will be utterly illegible. Re-doing the work completed before will perhaps salvage 90-95% of the old data now, but each year will see more inscriptions lost forever. My great-grandfather's stone for one is deteriorating rapidly and might survive twenty years at best

Is anyone here in touch with the families of the two ladies and able to access the old pictures and transcripts for re-posting?   

Offline meanno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: County Sutherland Burial Records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 July 23 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi djct59
I've only just seen your post but I agree this topic is well worth re-visiting.
Without the images and transcriptions that Christine Stokes and Angi Lamb posted on the Fotki website I would still be in the dark about a lot of my family history and to an even greater extent would @wilros as it was as a direct result of the transcriptions that he became aware of his Durness connections.
The Fotki website appears to be still active but means of contact are limited. However there must be some humans behind it somewhere and if we could make contact with them and explain the situation we could at least attempt to persuade them to unblock the images.
I have some technical skills but I've emailed a copy of this post to @wilros seeking his assistance also.
I do think it's well worth making an effort to have the images unblocked as they could be extremely useful for any future researchers, and as you say with the deterioration of the gravestones the information they contain will be lost forever.

Offline meanno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 July 23 11:29 BST (UK) »
The man behind Fotki is Dmitri Don
https://ee.linkedin.com/in/fotkin
A direct appeal to him somehow might be the best tactic.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 July 23 22:23 BST (UK) »
Alas, it appears that fotki has become a subscription only dating site, so I cannot send a message via there.

For legal reasons I cannotTo message Mr. Don on LinkedIn I require to sign up to Premium. For legal reasons I am not permitted to disclose my employment on any public forum, so subscribing to a premium system to send one message could cause me certain difficulties  :(

Offline meanno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 July 23 23:14 BST (UK) »
I'll see if I can dig up an email address for Mr Don somewhere else.