Author Topic: Maxwell/Elliott  (Read 396 times)

Offline Cindysw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maxwell/Elliott
« on: Sunday 11 June 23 20:03 BST (UK) »
Looking for help to locate the marriage record for JAMES MAXWELL (ABT. 1817-) he married MARY ELLIOTT (abt. 1820-), they married in Donegal, Ireland in abt. 1845. They immigrated to Canada in 1845, according to his obit.

The family is Reformed Presbyterian, however, some believe it is the Elliott family who is Reformed Presbyterian and James married into it.  I think they are from the Convoy area, I did find one record stating they are from Donegal, Donegal, Ireland.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maxwell/Elliott
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 June 23 21:00 BST (UK) »
Statutory registration of non RC marriages began in Ireland on 1st April 1845. I checked the post 1845 records and did not find the marriage, so presumably they married before that date. If the couple came from the Convoy area then the bad news is that neither Convoy Reformed Pres church nor Convoy Pres church has any pre 1845 marriage records.

However there was a census of the Convoy Pres congregation in 1822. One Elliott family that I can see in Calhame. They had a young daughter Mary at that time.

http://donegalgenealogy.com/convoycen.htm

1901 census of Co Donegal had 278 people named Maxwell. None were Reformed Presbyterians. Plenty of Presbyterians though. 278 Elliotts. Just the 1 RP family in Knock which I think is in the parish of Donaghmore:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Knock/Knock/1198768/
Elwyn

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 June 23 22:03 BST (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 June 23 01:25 BST (UK) »
In support of Elwyn and KG on the information that you have provided the Calhame[Call-Hame] is your best fit. However Elliott [var.] has a good spread in Co. Donegal especially in the Letterkenny/Lifford/Ballybofey triangle. The Donaghmore parish has a very strong representation.

What was your clue that indicated that they were from the Convoy area?

My Cloghroe McClures have an attachment to the Elliotts of Bohanboy/Brauhanby.
Good luck on your genie journey.
Cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline Cindysw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 June 23 18:50 BST (UK) »
I contacted the Reformed Presbyterian and they gave me a list of places and Convoy was on the list, with a Mary joining that congregation in 1836 at 16 years old. 

Thank-you for the leads, amazing how fast you all work!

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 August 23 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you taken a DNA Test?

I am related to the Elliott family of Creeve Glebe, Leck which lays close to Calhame townland, I suspect that the Elliott's of that townland may well be related, although as someone has already stated Elliott was quite a wide spread surname in this area

Regards Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Cindysw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 August 23 17:55 BST (UK) »
I have taken a dna test and my tree is on ancestry, under cindysw. 

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Cindy

I tried doing a member search for you on Ancestry using cindysw but it is not bringing up any results for that username

Regards

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Cindysw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 August 23 17:31 BST (UK) »
I have heard that before, I think it is because I have made my tree private.  Lately, I have been adding my ideas to my tree preparing for my trip to NB and NS and I don't want to lead anyone astray. I am trying to track down two more ancestors before I am international on all branches on my tree. 

Do you have a tree on ancestry?