Author Topic: Leaving school aged 15  (Read 793 times)

Offline Skaife

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leaving school aged 15
« on: Monday 12 June 23 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hi I know that there was an Education Act passed in 1944 which raised school leaving age to 15. What I would like to know is when did it come into affect? We’re parents and pupils given any warning and time to prepare?
I’m thinking of my own grandmother who depended on her children bringing in a wage as soon as they could and how she would have coped.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Leaving school aged 15
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 June 23 17:10 BST (UK) »
After much delay it was brought into effect on 1 April 1947.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 June 23 17:58 BST (UK) »
My dad was born March 1947 and left school in 1962 aged 15 and swiftly went into work.

Is this around the time frame you are talking about?

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 June 23 18:10 BST (UK) »
My husband was born 1931 ,and left school at 14 , he had whizzed through the curriculum and did the library,school bank and dinner money for the relatively few children who paid.
He was positioned with a firm of accountants and did seven years,nine hours a week to do his accountancy exams .
But hated it !
Not sure whether it was just an option or had become standard practise by 1945.
He was evacuated fir a time but when his Mum discovered the lady with whom he lived was going out to work and he was a “ latchkey kid” she brought him back home and the family were all together again .
She was not having him going “home “ to an empty house.

Viktoria.

Offline Skaife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 June 23 19:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for the information shared. It just struck me today it would have affected the income of the family if, like my grandmother,  you were expecting a child to become a wage earner only to find out they had to stay at school for another year. I know this change in the system had been talked about for years before the act was passed.  I now know from Shaun’s answer that her youngest would have stayed for the extra year. She also had two sone who were not old enough to join in with with war effort but would have been called up for national service. I don’t think she would have been best pleased about that either!
Good to know that people like your husband Victoria - who obviously had aptitude was spotted and had some training.
Thanks all

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 June 23 21:13 BST (UK) »
My husband did not want to go to Grammar School ,wanting to play for the local secondary school that frequently won something like The Schoolboys’ Football Trophy , so he did not fill in his 11+exam papers!
Just wrote his name and put his pen down!
But he always had good jobs and we never starved .
We went abroad for twelve years, for his firm and it was a wonderful experience.

Viktoria.

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 June 23 21:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for the information shared. It just struck me today it would have affected the income of the family if, like my grandmother,  you were expecting a child to become a wage earner only to find out they had to stay at school for another year. I know this change in the system had been talked about for years before the act was passed.  I now know from Shaun’s answer that her youngest would have stayed for the extra year. She also had two sone who were not old enough to join in with with war effort but would have been called up for national service. I don’t think she would have been best pleased about that either!
Good to know that people like your husband Victoria - who obviously had aptitude was spotted and had some training.
Thanks all

So your family event would have taken place around 1947 then if they had to stay on another year at school.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Skaife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 June 23 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Yes you are correct - my grandmother was widowed in 1949. At the time she still had older children who were living at home. A couple of sons ( born 1928 & 1930 would have been called up for National Service.they would have already been in employment having left school aged 14 - so would have been away from home for a couple of years.   Another son born c.1940 would definitely have already known they had to stay at school until the age of 15. Another, born late 1932 may have left at 14.
My grandmother believed in the system of ‘tipping up’ -  single children who were in work handed over their wage & she gave them back some pocket money  I think the changes in her ‘income’ would have made life very difficult.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 June 23 18:22 BST (UK) »
I never had my children contribute to the family income, at Uni getting degrees etc only on grants , and then living away from home ,it was more we parents helping them ,they could not afford to pay up!
Although all three did do evening and holiday jobs etc .

My Dad made us pay for our clothes as soon as we got a Saturday and holiday jobs .
Character building he called it  ;D
My boyfriend ,later my husband bought me a lot so when we had a fall out ,I realised I might have to give him back all he had bought me ,so I decided not to end the relationship, and am always glad I didn’t .
Viktoria.