Author Topic: DNA to solve brickwalls?  (Read 7770 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: DNA to solve brickwalls?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 18:23 BST (UK) »
Postage costs from USA always have to be added to that . & There can be a long wait for delivery then an even longer wait for results to come in

Coombes I  bought 4 in one go to save on postage costs for a cousin.sister +  brother in law & one for a friend

My sister decided not to take hers so
I actually have a spare if you'd like it for £60 plus whatever it costs to post from UK
They are very light and smaller than the boxes 10 years ago

Thanks for the offer for the £60, I need time to think about it though.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 01 May 24 13:43 BST (UK) »
And also add anyone interested in family history but doesn't have their DNA tested probably inherited the Silly Gene. Family history without DNA is like watching a film without sound. 

Before the pandemic, I belonged to my local U3A Family History Group. I was the only one of the 6 of us who had taken a DNA test. None of the others (including the leader) had any interest in taking one themselves and thought that I was very peculiar in having resorted to DNA rather than "rely" on the paper trail.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 01 May 24 14:53 BST (UK) »
I've just submitted a test sample. What prompted it was the revelation that along with his wordly goods, my late dad (appears) to have left my siblings and I a half-sister (b 1949) . (whoops!)

She had managed via cousin-matching DNA to zero in on her great-grandparents, then her/our  grandparents. A first name matching dear old dad was in the adoption paperwork, and theres a limited pool of grandkids to choose from...

so if this is yes/no question (can it be done), i'm going to have to say, yes
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 01 May 24 17:38 BST (UK) »
And also add anyone interested in family history but doesn't have their DNA tested probably inherited the Silly Gene. Family history without DNA is like watching a film without sound. 

Before the pandemic, I belonged to my local U3A Family History Group. I was the only one of the 6 of us who had taken a DNA test. None of the others (including the leader) had any interest in taking one themselves and thought that I was very peculiar in having resorted to DNA rather than "rely" on the paper trail.

I also am a member of my local U3A and have given a couple of presentations specifically on DNA.

I did ask a series of questions before I started and a good proportion of the attendees had taken a DNA test, so I had a very keen audience for the last one.

I’m laid up at present but when I do go to meetings there are usually multiple DNA related questions asked by Group members.

DNA is not a subject that can be covered in one session, to do the subject justice then at least three presentations are required.