Author Topic: Joshua Naylor - otherwise Owen  (Read 1085 times)

Offline united

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Joshua Naylor - otherwise Owen
« on: Thursday 08 September 05 22:29 BST (UK) »
I have posted some of this information before, had some helpful suggestions, but am trying again with a little new information - in a vain attempt to break down a very frustrating brick wall!!! ???
Joshua Naylor, otherwise Owen - that's how my grandfather's pension record for Post Officer Archives is headed.  That was the first mention of the name Owen heard in relation to this man - who had lived from at least 1909 as Joshua Naylor!!!
When I first started tracing my family I thought I would have no problems finding my grandfather's birth certificate - I knew his birthday, knew the year he was born, and where - thought I knew his father's name from his marriage certificate (and there were 2 of them - certificates, that is) - but could not find a brith certificate.
Then I hit on the idea of trying to find out from the Post Office Archives because he had been employed by them all his working life and had received a pension for many years - and that's when OWEN came into the equation!
Tried again with the birth certificate - no problem, Joshua Owen, born 4 June 1878, Manchester, father George Owen, mother Mary Owen, formerly Naylor.
Since then it has been one frustration after the other - no trace on the census, no marriage for his parents - nothing!
Finally I have found out a little more about a family that may – or may not – be connected to my grandfather – and I am hoping that someone out there may be able to help!

RG12/3237 page 4
Halliwell Buildings, Lad Lane
James Naylor head single 30 b Birkenhead Labourer at a brewery
Elizabeth Naylor sister single 27 b Birkenhead Housekeeper Dom
Joshua Naylor brother single 13 b Manchester Scholar
John Naylor brother single 11 b Manchester Scholar
Mary E Naylor sister single 2 b Manchester

This “Joshua” fits my grandfather as far as his age is concerned; and is the only one I have found that is remotely correct!
Mary E Naylor pops up again in 1901, living as the daughter of William and Elizabeth Timms (RG13/3746 page 43), which seems to suggest she is the daughter of Elizabeth, not the sister, and this is confirmed from her birth certificate showing her as the daughter of Elizabeth Naylor, father unknown.
I have the marriage certificate of Elizabeth and William Timms, at St Stephens, Hulme.  I was hoping that if Elizabeth’s father and “my” Joshua’s father matched, I would have a connection – but no! 
“My” Joshua was married twice and on both marriage certificates quotes his father’s name as George Naylor, stone mason, deceased.  Never a hint of Mr Owen anywhere!
Elizabeth’s father is Joshua Naylor – but … !  His profession is “mason”, which may be a connection.  (You can see that we are well past the “clutching at straws” scenario here …!)
I have just come across the marriage of Mary E Naylor – again at St Stephens, Hulme – to a Robert Lomax in 1907, so my question is – does this link into anyone’s family, and if it does, is there a real link to “my” Joshua – or can anyone tell me that there really is not! 

Sorry this is so long - but this has been a thorny problem for so long ……!  :( :(

Offline sarah e

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Great granddad Wilson
    • View Profile
Re: Joshua Naylor - otherwise Owen
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 September 05 23:07 BST (UK) »
Have you considered that due to the age gap between the eldest two and the following siblings, that James and Elizabeths father was Joshua Naylor, he died, mum remarried Mr Owen, they have two kids Joshua and John, parents then keel over and leave all kids with big brother James.
Glendenning
Laycock
Wilson
Garnett
(Halifax, Shelf, Hunslet, Bradford, Manningham, Leeds)

Offline united

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Joshua Naylor - otherwise Owen
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 September 05 10:54 BST (UK) »
Yes - considered that!!  There is very little I have not considered!
Got a request in with Wirral RO at present to see if some James and Elizabeth references I have found show they are actually brother and sister - I am hoping that there is a match and that their mother is Mary - but I have looked for a possible death of the first Mr Naylor, and a possible marriage for him - I have never come across so many brickwalls in one family - which is why I am parting with hard earned money for certificates that may not be anything to do with me ....!!!