Author Topic: William Dowds born 1867  (Read 404 times)

Offline Sunny1865

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Dowds born 1867
« on: Sunday 02 July 23 14:59 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the birth record for William Dowds born Abt. 1867.
1. Father John Dowds, Teacher & Mother Sarah Earls. They lived in Mullalelish in Richhill District, Armagh.
2. William died 6th Dec 1876 of pneumonia at the age of 9. 11 days later his younger brother James died of Scarlet Fever (17/12/76), at the age of 4.
3.In 1877 (11/July) John Dowds & Sarah Earls had their 5th son and named him after both sons they had lost William James.
So I am trying to find the birth record for the first son William in 1867

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Dowds born 1867
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 July 23 15:49 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 July 23 16:01 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sunny1865

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 July 23 16:53 BST (UK) »
Death of William Douds
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1876/020569/7217751.pdf

There is a birth for Alexander in November 1868
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1868/03422/2255395.pdf

Do you have that one - William would be before him.

Hi, thank you for your help. Yes I have the birth records for all the children, except for the first William, which would have been their first child. When I worked backwards off the grave stone I realised there must have been 2 Williams & I only had the Birth Record for the Second William (William James)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 July 23 19:22 BST (UK) »
I can see a transcript of a baptismal record for William, but I haven't found a civil birth registration and I'm starting to wonder if this first child went unregistered. 

For what it's worth, William Douds was baptised in Richhill Presbyterian Church in September 1867 (day unspecified), date of birth given as 18 June 1867, his parents recorded as John Douds and Sarah Earls of Ballinahinch, which I assume is Ballynahinch, a neighbouring townland of Mullalelish - Ballinahinch was given when one of the couple's other children was born (Mary in 1875), Mullalelish was given for all of the rest.

On the face of it, there ought to be a registration for William in 1867 under Armagh District.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 July 23 23:55 BST (UK) »
There is this listing (1866) that I cannot check as the link does not go to a page with a birth on it relating to William
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01sg3/

I think you can report these errors and ask for the correct page to be associated.

Offline Sunny1865

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 July 23 05:33 BST (UK) »
I can see a transcript of a baptismal record for William, but I haven't found a civil birth registration and I'm starting to wonder if this first child went unregistered. 

For what it's worth, William Douds was baptised in Richhill Presbyterian Church in September 1867 (day unspecified), date of birth given as 18 June 1867, his parents recorded as John Douds and Sarah Earls of Ballinahinch, which I assume is Ballynahinch, a neighbouring townland of Mullalelish - Ballinahinch was given when one of the couple's other children was born (Mary in 1875), Mullalelish was given for all of the rest.

On the face of it, there ought to be a registration for William in 1867 under Armagh District.

Hi Thank you so much for your input. Could you provide a link to where you found this information? I cant find it in the church records of Irish Genealogy. Did they have any of there other children baptised? I could not find any only the civil registrations

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 July 23 07:12 BST (UK) »
There is this listing (1866) that I cannot check as the link does not go to a page with a birth on it relating to William
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01sg3/

William Henry Dowd born 7 December 1866 at Derrymacfall townland. Father James a weaver. Mother Mary Jane nee Doyle.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1866/03512/2291722.pdf
https://www.townlands.ie/armagh/oneilland-west/drumcree/drumcree/derrymacfall/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 July 23 07:19 BST (UK) »

Hi Thank you so much for your input. Could you provide a link to where you found this information? I cant find it in the church records of Irish Genealogy. Did they have any of there other children baptised? I could not find any only the civil registrations

It's a subscription website. The only other transcript of a baptismal record I can see is for Alexander Earls Douds, he was baptised in the same church on 26 April 1869.

Also noticed this transcript of a Dowds grave inscription in Richhill Presbyterian Church graveyard: In loving memory of father and mother: John, died May 9th 1882 aged 45; Sarah, died December 7th 1930 aged 91 Their children William: died December 6th 1876 aged 9; James, died December 19th 1876 aged 4; Mary, died July 16th 1896 aged 18; Henry, died July 1st 1916 aged 35 [at the Somme]; Edward, died November 28th 1961 aged 37; Alexander Earls, died August 1940 aged 71.