Author Topic: Michigan marriages & United States, Social Security Numerical Identification Fil  (Read 318 times)

Offline Stuart_McDonald

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi Everyone
Ellen Flora Seaton (1918-2003), born in St Cloud, Minnesota and died  in Ann Arbor, Michigan married several times (at least 4).  Using the United States, Social Security Numerical Identification Files as a guide would I be correct in assuming that the Name and form dates: Applications, identify what year she married and the surname of the spouse?
I am trying to determine if the potential 1955 spouse was Kenneth James Purfield and the actual full name of the potential 1954 Ulch spouse.
Any pointers gratefully accepted.
Kind regards
Stuart McDonald, Australia

Offline HistoricalGenealogy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Using the U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007, it lists all her names through out her lifetime:

Feb 1943: Name listed as ELLEN FLORA DOTY;
May 1954: Name listed as ELLEN FLO ULCH;
Jan 1955: Name listed as ELLEN FLO PURFIELD;
29 Oct 1984: Name listed as ELLEN F CISLO
*https://www.rootschat.com/links/01sgm/

This is her spouses:

No.1
Orvel Thomas Doty
BIRTH 19 APR 1911 • Springerton, White, Illinois, USA
DEATH 8 SEP 1992 • Ypsilanti, Washtenaw, Michigan, USA

No.2

Offline Stuart_McDonald

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Using the U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007, it lists all her names through out her lifetime:

Thank you for the details, I was able to access her 1st husband, but no others. 
Regards
Stuart

Offline HistoricalGenealogy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile

Thank you for the details, I was able to access her 1st husband, but no others. 
Regards
Stuart

Me too. I’ll try to look for them.

Offline Stuart_McDonald

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile

Me too. I’ll try to look for them.

Thank you, I can sort of confirm her second husband was Leon George Ulch, but I was hoping to ultimately confirm that hubby No 3 was Kenneth James Purfield.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
There's an entry in the 1960 Ann Arbor, Michigan city directory:

Purfield, Ellen F., food service helper, University of Michigan Betsy Barbour House, resides Ypsi Mich (I think that part is Ypsilanti, Michigan)

No other Purfields listed there.

This article refers to a Mr. & Mrs. Kenneth Purfield of Ypsilanti - https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-herald-palladium/127925451/ - but not sure if it's Ellen or another Mrs. Purfield.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
There is an article from the Ann Arbor News from 15 Aug. 1959 about Kenneth J. Purfield of 307 N. Adams St., Ypsilanti who complained about a road flare thrown against his garage.

In the same newspaper from 8 Feb. 1962, Mrs. Ellen Purfield, age 43, of 307 N. Adams St., Ypsilanti was noted to suffer head injuries in a car accident. 

Offline Stuart_McDonald

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
There is an article from the Ann Arbor News from 15 Aug. 1959......
The age for Ellen Purfield in 1962 is just about spot on.  Thank you for trawling for me.  I have since located legal notices from the Saline Reporter in June and July 1981 indicating a mortgage sale of a property under mortgage since 1963 to Kenneth J. Purfield and his wife Ellen F. Purfield.  By 1981 Kenneth was married to someone else as of 1980.
I appreciate your time Shelley.  Thank you.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile