Author Topic: Emma Reeves born c.1852 and family brick wall  (Read 569 times)

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Emma Reeves born c.1852 and family brick wall
« on: Monday 10 July 23 23:27 BST (UK) »
I have been looking back on my family tree and found that I've done part of it wrong when it comes to Emma Reeves. Turns out I have added the wrong information for her and it's actually a different person altogether.

I can't find a birth or anything pre-1881.

This is all the confirmed/correct information I have got on her:

- Married Joseph Dawson 1878 Leytonstone Essex, a spinster, father John Reeves
- 1881 living in Leyton with family as Emma Dawson born London
- Married William Henry Gardner 1886 Bethnal Green:

William Henry Gardner, 42, bachelor, same address, father Henry Gardner (decd), licensed victualler
  Emma Dawson, widow, 33, 3 Seabright Gardens, father John Reeves, shoemaker

- 1891 living in Walthamstow with family born Walthamstow
- 1901 "  " born Bethnal Green
- Died 1909 in Leyton

It looks like she had two children before she married Joseph, both listed as Dawson in 1881 census:
- William T born c.1873
- Frederick Daniel born c.1876 (my 2nd great grandfather)

I can't find births for either children.

I have ruled out a couple of Emma Reeves by researching. These are:
- Emma Frances Reeves, who I originally thought my Emma was. She was born 2 Nov 1852 in Bethnal Green to John Reeves, shoemaker (as is stated on Emma's second marriage) and Emma Frances Purnell (who was also known as Sarah? on the census). I have recently began researching this Emma and turns out she is the one who married Samuel Silverton in Bethnal Green 1869. I have traced this Emma and Samuel all through the censuses and I'm confident this is a separate Emma and not mine. There is no mention of my Emma having a middle name.

- Emma Sophia Reeves born in Walthamstow to James and Mary Ann in 1851. She died in 1854.

Unfortunately I'm at a dead end as to who my Emma Reeves is and would appreciate any comments or leads.
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emma Reeves born c.1852 and family brick wall
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 July 23 23:44 BST (UK) »
Birth
1877 December quarter West Ham
Frederick Daniel Baldwin mmn Reeves
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HistoricalGenealogy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 July 23 23:45 BST (UK) »
In the 1881 UK Census, the couple is listed with their 2 children in Essex. The Census says Emma was born around 1853 in London, Middlesex, England.

In the 1861 UK Census, there is a family which matches the father, John, it matches London, Middlesex, and there is Emma born in 1853.

Here's that census on FamilySearch.org:

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 July 23 23:46 BST (UK) »
There is a William Isaac Baldwin b 1872, Hackney with mmn Reeves but not sure if it is Emma’s child.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 July 23 23:52 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant, thanks for the replies, I'll get researching the Baldwin surname.
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 July 23 23:54 BST (UK) »
In the 1881 UK Census, the couple is listed with their 2 children in Essex. The Census says Emma was born around 1853 in London, Middlesex, England.

In the 1861 UK Census, there is a family which matches the father, John, matches London, Middlesex, and there is Emma born in 1853.

Here's that census on FamilySearch.org:

There is a Baptism Record that matches that information:

Emma REEVES - November 28th, 1852 - St Matthias, Bethnal Green (in Middlesex)

"St Matthew's Bethnal Green is a Church of England church, in the Diocese of London..."

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 July 23 23:58 BST (UK) »
This is the baptism that I've already ruled out. I believe this is the Emma Frances Reeves who married Samuel Silverton 1869.

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 July 23 23:59 BST (UK) »
Can't find a suitable marriage between Reeves and Baldwin, maybe they weren't married. May have to send off for the cert for Frederick Daniel to confirm details.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 July 23 00:00 BST (UK) »
This is the baptism that I've already ruled out. I believe this is the Emma Frances Reeves who married Samuel Silverton 1869.

How do you know then?