Author Topic: Mark Kearney born 1896 Dublin Ireland and died 1920 Jacksonville Florida  (Read 546 times)

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dear Rootschatters

I'm calling on your help from Manchester, England.

Just on a random off-chance, would anyone with connections to Jacksonville, Florida recognise this headstone from the Evergreen Cemetery in Jacksonville? Through a process of elimination around other Mark Kearneys born in Dublin 1895/1896, I strongly believe this is my maternal grandfather's brother, Mark Kearney.

All documentary traces of our Mark Kearney seem to disappear after the Irish Census of 1911, when he was 15 years old and shown as still living with his parents and siblings in Dublin.

We don't know what happened to Mark after that - there's no further documentary evidence that we can find around his life, either within or outside of Ireland, but this attached photo of a gravestone from 1920 just popped up in Ancestry hints the other day, which was quite a surprise and I have a very keen hunch that this is him, but I have no idea how he would've come to die at such a young age in Jacksonville, Florida.  There is no known connection between Mark and Florida.

His date of birth in Dublin was actually 30th November 1895, but his birth wasn't registered until early 1896. I also know from experience that dates from those days can be a bit 'fluid', and the person who registered a death back then could sometimes get birth date slightly wrong. 

I also know that there are no other Mark Kearneys in Dublin on the birth records for that little window of time.

Most of the men in this branch of my Irish family (including my grandfather) were merchant seafarers, and there was a family story that Mark was also was a seaman who might've 'jumped ship' somewhere abroad during a voyage - so maybe America, or specifically Florida, was the place where he did this.

Somebody also obviously paid money for a headstone, even though he's buried there alone, with no wife or children in the grave.  That puzzles me, but if any of this rings a bell with anyone from that part of Florida, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance
Runner55

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Mark Kearney born 1896 Dublin Ireland and died 1920 Jacksonville Florida
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 July 23 18:19 BST (UK) »
Was he shown on the 1920 census?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 July 23 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi CaroleW

Thank you for your reply.  I can't seem to find a census on the usual databases from 1920 for Jacksonville.  Have they been digitised?

Regards
Runner55

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 July 23 18:24 BST (UK) »
The 1920 US census is on Family Search

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1488411
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 July 23 18:26 BST (UK) »
Just a thought - if you contacted the cemetary they may be able to tell you who bought the grave.  No guarantees - but worth a try

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 July 23 18:46 BST (UK) »
There are Florida death records from that time frame here - https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1595003  I don't see a Mark Kearney or any similar name that died in Jacksonville in 1920. 

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 July 23 21:17 BST (UK) »
There is only one other Kearney listed in the cemetery (there could be others buried there but not currently showing on websites).

Oddly enough, the dates are similar to Mr. Kearney’s dates:
Ruby M Kearney
  1898 - 1920
Plot: Section LW

After a very quick search, I don’t see Ruby in any Anc*try records.

Added: CarolW has an excellent suggestion.  When trying to find my husband’s ancestors (in California), I contacted the cemetery where some of his relatives are buried.  After telling them who we were and our reason for asking about his possible (other) ancestors, they very kindly told us full details.  I don’t remember if we asked about who purchased the plots, but they did give us other details.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 July 23 21:37 BST (UK) »
There is only one other Kearney listed in the cemetery (there could be others buried there but not currently showing on websites).

Ruby M Kearney
  1898 - 1920

This looks like the Ruby in question's death certificate - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FPQN-JRG  It says she & her parents were born in Georgia, so not a sister or cousin.  Her spouse's name is transcribed as G. H. Kearney, but looking at the image, it could be something else, including an M.  So maybe a wife?  She died of tuberculosis, so not outside the realm of possibility that it could have spread to her husband.  Her mother was the informant on the death certificate.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 July 23 21:42 BST (UK) »

Ruby M Kearney
  1898 - 1920

This looks like the Ruby in question's death certificate - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FPQN-JRG  It says she & her parents were born in Georgia, so not a sister or cousin.  Her spouse's name is transcribed as G. H. Kearney, but looking at the image, it could be something else, including an M.  So maybe a wife?  She died of tuberculosis, so not outside the realm of possibility that it could have spread to her husband.  Her mother was the informant on the death certificate.

Looks like this might be Ruby's marriage license with Hubert M. Kearney in Georgia in 1918.  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2Z1-WZYW  Did your Mark have Hubert in his name or can we rule this one out?

This marriage announcement lists Hubert as Hubert N. Kearney and living in North Carolina when not in WWI.  Hubert's mother was also living in NC.  https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-orlando-sentinel/128165711/  So looks like not the right guy.