Author Topic: Elizabeth mother of Andrew Skilling b 1850/1  (Read 665 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth mother of Andrew Skilling b 1850/1
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 09:01 BST (UK) »
Not a very polite response.

If you have a copy of the burial record and/or death certificate showing his date of death and age (85 according to the deaths index at SP), you could send it to them and suggest they brush up on their arithmetic skills.

Better still, if you can find the matching birth record, send that too.

Failing that, complain direct to FindAGrave itself (though TBH I wouldn't hold out much hope of them paying any attention).

Or add a new record with the correct information.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 09:06 BST (UK) »
Yes, I can't believe the response about research! I will probably not follow up on it yet, but thanks for the suggestion. The addition of new record is the way to go once I have the definite information.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 09:09 BST (UK) »
PS I just looked at FindAGrave and there is a photograph of a stone with 1940 and 83 clearly legible, and the DoB is given as 1857.

You could send a copy of that back to the rude person and add "You obviously didn't research".
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 09:18 BST (UK) »
Findagrave have obviously changed the DoB to 1857 since I emailed as this is the record I downloaded before I emailed. Note the 1836, someone has checked the arithmetic!

ADDED: Sadly none of the memorials in the cemetery are as early as Ineed for further research.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 17:39 BST (UK) »
James Shaw from 1851 kept Skilling throughout his life. He married in 1881 a Mary McDowall. His parents show as 'James Shaw, reputed father, deceased' and Elizabeth Skilling, housekeeper.
I wonder if the reputed father is shown on the baptism register? I cannot find baptisms for Mary Garrat/Skilling ca 1835/7, John ca 1842, James Shaw/Skilling ca 1837 or Andrew ca 1850 on SP or familysearch. Can you see the original register on SP if you find a baptism?

Also wonder if William McCracken age 8 on 1841 census with Samuel, Jane, Alexander [their son], Mary Garrat 4 [most likely Elizabeth's daughter] is also one of Elizabeth's?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 19:54 BST (UK) »

The following suggested edit you submitted for the John Skilling (1836–1940) Find a Grave memorial have been declined.
Reported Problem:   Suggestion does not match information I have for this person or memorial.
Notes:   You obviously didn’t research

Gosh  :o  Somebody over there got out the wrong side of bed!
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 20:03 BST (UK) »

...Mary Garrat 4 [most likely Elizabeth's daughter] is also one of Elizabeth's?

I think so. She shows as daughter on the 1861 census entry doesn't she:

Elizabeth Skilling 50
Mary Skilling 26 Daughter
James Skilling 14 Son
Andrew Skilling 10 Son

Address Karlock Cottage No2, Ballantrae

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 20:29 BST (UK) »
I think Mary died in Ballantrae in 1907, aged 73. Mother's MN not indexed. Two entries on the index, one under Garrett and the other Skilling (ref 579 / 21). With only these two surnames indexed, likely she never married?

Monica

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 21:00 BST (UK) »
Ah, marvellous thank you.

I have been researching Elizabeth's son John, have a read of this:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01sin/
I believe this to be John but cannot confirm it without buying the certificate of marriage with Elizabeth McMurray. It mentions money sent to brother Andrew in 1903 but the address may have been out of date if John was in the Falklands.