Author Topic: 40th Foot India Francis Northwood  (Read 363 times)

Offline red3

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
40th Foot India Francis Northwood
« on: Tuesday 18 July 23 03:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
Trying to find information on Francis Northwood who was in the 40th Foot from 1825 to 1846. 
I have his service record.

He served first in New South Wales for 1yr 91 days   1827 to 1829
Then in East India for 12yrs 150 days                       
The Upper Baluchistan and Afghanistan 3yrs 324 days     

Private
Made Corporal 1836
Made Sergeant 1841
Reduced Private 1844

Trying to find first wife when, and who he married.
Child Elizabeth born about 1837
Then his wife died sometime

There appears to be no records.

He married again in NZ and had family.  I have there information.

Even any ideas where to look.
Thanks Red3
Ghent/Gent- Nottinghamshire, Canada to NZ
Brown- Ireland to NZ
Just- Durham to NZ
Battensby-Durham to NZ
Protheroe- Pembrokeshire /London to NZ
Capstick-Lancashire /York to NZ

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 40th Foot India Francis Northwood
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 08:02 BST (UK) »
As you are probably aware, the 40th went directly from Australia to Bombay in India in 1828, and remained there until September 1845. This means that it is highly likely that he married in India, assuming he didn't marry in Australia before 1828.

His service record says he spent 17 years 200 days abroad (Australia, India and Afghanistan etc) out of his total of 20 years and 146 days service, meaning he spent 21/2 years approximately in the UK. Up to one year of this may have been while he was getting his recruit training and waiting for a ship to go to Australia to join his Regiment. That still leaves at least another year and a half when he must have returned to the UK at some point, possibly during the first 10 years (1829 - 1839) in India since this was a quiet time for the Regiment. Unfortunately no manifests for the troopships which shuttled back and forth between India and the UK have survived so it may be difficult to confirm when he came back. I think it more likely that he came back at the end of his service especially since his discharge medical report says he was so unfit for further service due to rheumatism etc.

Again, as you are aware, if he married before 1837 you are relying on finding a parish register entry for any marriage. I assume that you have eliminated the half dozen or so Francis Northwood marriages in the UK between 1828 and 1846.  Although there were parish registers compiled by the Army chaplains who conducted overseas marriages, I'm not sure what happened to them. They may be at the British Library as part of the East India Company records, but if they are, I would have expected them to have been indexed by FIBIS, but nothing turns up on the FIBIS database.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 08:03 BST (UK) »
There was another army pensioner named Francis Northwood (confusingly also born in Maulden, Bedfordshire but a few years earlier than your man) who had a daughter Elizabeth who was born in 1837. He served with 14th Foot.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline red3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 18:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies

I can add Francis
Enlisted 3 Dec 1825
Note muster book (Trove) 30 Feb 1826 40th Foot Private 1st Division
Moved from Colchester to Norwich 24 June 1826
Sailed to Sydney on the John I 22 July 1827 under command of Liet James Stopford
Arrived Sydney 26 Nov 1826
Marched ashore 7 Dec 1826

Francis was a witness to events on the John I in the case of Moncreif v Roberts

From what I can see the 40th started leaving Aust in Feb of 1828 and the last of them left in March 1829.

Would Francis remained under the command of James Stopford?

I had not considered the fact he may have gone back to England.  As he had not been on half  pay.

Elizabeth the child on a NZ marriage cert gives her birth of Wolverhampton England.  I had always overlooked this as it did not add up for me.  Elizabeth's always falls to 1837 on her marriage/death certs.

Regards Red3

Brown- Ireland to NZ
Just- Durham to NZ
Battensby-Durham to NZ

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 19:10 BST (UK) »
Would Francis remained under the command of James Stopford?
It is unlikely. Lt Stopford would merely have been in charge of the draft coming out from England and once they arrived he would have been given command of a platoon and the other soldiers he brought out to Australia would have been divided up across the battalion, wherever there were vacancies.
I had not considered the fact he may have gone back to England.  As he had not been on half  pay.
Not sure what you mean by this last sentence. He would not have been on half pay when he returned to Britain. He obviously took a drop in pay when he was reduced in rank from sergeant to private, but that's all. Half pay was only applicable to officers, when they left active service - a kind of pension.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 20:31 BST (UK) »
Is it possible that the Elizabeth Northwood who married in NZ is the daughter of the other Francis Northwood? She seems to disappear from UK records after 1842. Probably a cousin of your Francis, from the same town in Bedfordshire.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 20:39 BST (UK) »
Your Francis went to NZ in 1847 after a year in Plymouth, per pension records.

Offline red3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 21:51 BST (UK) »
re Half pay remark
I thought soldier went on half pay when they were not needed. ie if he returned to England and not on active service.  My mistake.

Is it possible that the Elizabeth Northwood who married in NZ is the daughter of the other Francis Northwood? She seems to disappear from UK records after 1842. Probably a cousin of your Francis, from the same town in Bedfordshire.
Hmm not sure.  Can you see the name of this Francis Northwoods wife?

Regards Red3
Brown- Ireland to NZ
Just- Durham to NZ
Battensby-Durham to NZ

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 22:09 BST (UK) »
Can you see the name of this Francis Northwoods wife?

Elizabeth was the wife of the one born circa 1795 who was in 14th Foot, who had a daughter Elizabeth in 1837.