Author Topic: Employment/Accommodation records - Glasgow c1900  (Read 536 times)

Offline StephenEThomas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Employment/Accommodation records - Glasgow c1900
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 July 23 23:21 BST (UK) »
Both Hilda & Maud's births were registered as Thomas mmn McArthur.

You definitely need those 2 marriage certs

I have the Ben/Jennie marriage certificate that states father as Philip Thomas as the father, and the Ben/Bessie marriage certificate that states Benjamin Thomas as the father.

I can't find a marriage certificate for Jane Thomas and William Lewis, I suspect it was a common-law marriage. In the later censuses the children were named as 'Maud' Thomas Lewis

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 July 23 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hilda was born in Cardiff & Maud in Birmingham so Jenny certainly got around.

1871 for Benjamin b 1869 Birkenhead shows father as Benjamin but there is only one 1881/91 entry with a father Philip & he was b 1878 Carmarthen

I'm beginning to agree with you re bigamous marriages. 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 July 23 07:17 BST (UK) »

The other records that might possibly include him are the registers of electors, but they are not available online, and unless you had an address to target it would be a very long job to check all the names in Glasgow in one year, never mind several years. Depends how determined you are :) The registers of electors are most readily available in the Mitchell Library in Glasgow.

Ancestry (subscription or often available at a library) have a searchable database for Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland, Electoral Registers, 1857-1962

Boo

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 July 23 11:33 BST (UK) »
It's also unlikely he would be on the register as he probably only worked in Scotland for short spells - not a full year
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 July 23 14:59 BST (UK) »

Offline StephenEThomas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 July 23 18:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone, fine suggestions. You've reassured me that I have not missed anything easy or obvious, just got to keep hunting.

Thanks

Steve

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 July 23 02:37 BST (UK) »
If I ve followed correctly there's no proof that Benjamin was ever in Scotland.

Jennie was already pregnant when she married him .

Have you any more distant contacts that show a DNA link to John HAMILTON do you know his mother's name.?

Conversely do you have any distant links which reveal links to Benjamin THOMAS s maternal side

Were the DNA tests with Ancestry ?
Do the ethnic break ups make it most likely that your grandfather had a Scottish or English father .?

Do you know where the the MacIntyre name came from for Jennie's first baby .

I'd personally investigate the Scottish possibilities . John HAMILTON or another John as being father of both babies .

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline StephenEThomas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 July 23 07:21 BST (UK) »
All excellent points

No, no proof Ben was in Scotland other than the potential links of shipbuilding and wife's family. Which makes it tenuous and circumstantial on the fact that both cousins married someone of the same name/age

No, no clear Hamilton DNA links, but also no compelling census or other BMD links to John Hamilton. There is a John Hamilton at the claimed address 4 wilton st in the 1881 census, but very little to show where he goes or where he is from then on. He remains a possibility, parents James Hamilton and Mary McAlister, but again no clear DNA links

No, no DNA links at all to Ben Thomas from Birkenhead on either the Thomas or mother Hannah Foley b1834 family lines. He does feature in one family tree and currently they have not done a DNA test, but this could prove or exclude him as an ancestor.

Ancestry DNA breakups suggest very strongly Scottish DNA, which makes the North and south Wales DNA of Ben's parents Thomas/Foley less likely. It does seem more likely that the father should have Scottish DNA so I'm not ruling out the possibility that we're entirely unrelated to Ben Thomas from Birkenhead.

The Macintyre name comes from Jennie's mother's maiden name (Elizabeth Rose MacIntyre) , giving her son the family names of both of her parents in lieu of his father's name. It is 6 months later when John Hamilton gets named as the father of John MacIntyre Macarthur on the register of corrected entries.

Given the strength of the DNA relationship between us and the descendants of John MacIntyre Macarthur I am convinced both Ben and John had the same father. Whether the father was John Hamilton, or Benjamin Thomas,  or someone else is so far proving difficult to narrow down.

Thanks for your observations, you're making me critically assess what I know and what I think I know.

If I ve followed correctly there's no proof that Benjamin was ever in Scotland.

Jennie was already pregnant when she married him .

Have you any more distant contacts that show a DNA link to John HAMILTON do you know his mother's name.?

Conversely do you have any distant links which reveal links to Benjamin THOMAS s maternal side

Were the DNA tests with Ancestry ?
Do the ethnic break ups make it most likely that your grandfather had a Scottish or English father .?

Do you know where the the MacIntyre name came from for Jennie's first baby .

I'd personally investigate the Scottish possibilities . John HAMILTON or another John as being father of both babies .

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 July 23 20:27 BST (UK) »

The other records that might possibly include him are the registers of electors, but they are not freely available online, and unless you had an address to target it would be a very long job to check all the names in Glasgow in one year, never mind several years. Depends how determined you are :) The registers of electors are most readily available in the Mitchell Library in Glasgow.

Ancestry (subscription or often available at a library) have a searchable database for Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland, Electoral Registers, 1857-1962

Boo
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.