Author Topic: 40th Regiment of foot in 1842  (Read 291 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
40th Regiment of foot in 1842
« on: Thursday 27 July 23 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hello I have just bought this letter dated 5th September 1842 written in Koblenz, Germany, from a lieutenant in the 40th Regiment of foot, whose name I think is Modrach IV. The letter starts:

"Sir, Since an officer of my regiment, who speaks very well english, is commanded, to conduct the stranger officers during the manoevre, I think it my duty to address you to him. His name is: von Knobelsdorff Lieutenant of the 40th Regiment of foot, he is lodging, I believe at Munster-Eifel..."

Can anyone please help me find out more about these people and this document?

From looking on google I thought they must be talking about the Kabul Expedition (1842), but as that started in August and this letter is dated 5th September and written in Germany, I am not sure.

If anyone can shed any light on it, I would love to hear from you.

Thank you.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 40th Regiment of foot in 1842
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 July 23 05:05 BST (UK) »
The British 40th Foot Regiment were in Afghanistan in 1842 fighting in the First Anglo-Afghan War and had been in India since 1828. Before that they were in Australia. The Regiment only had one Battalion so I don't think the writer of this letter can be referring to this Regiment, or has made a mistake over the number. Also while it is possible that there was an officer with a German name in a British Regiment, having two German officers at a time when the Regiment had been away from Britain and Europe for a quarter of a century seems highly unlikely.
Possibly he is referring to the German 40th (Hohenzollern) Fusiliers Regiment.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 July 23 08:42 BST (UK) »
There was a Leutnant von Knobelsdorff in the Prussian 40th Infantry Regiment in 1840, also a Leutnant Modrach 4te (quite a few Modrachs !)

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/60667/images/31249_186213-00136
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 July 23 10:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much. That is great!

Any idea how I might be able to find out any more about the military operation and these two men at all please?

I know nothing about German genealogy!!

Thank you,
Jon

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 July 23 10:45 BST (UK) »
There are contemporary newspaper reports mentioning the Prussian military manoeuvres in Germany in mid-September 1842, and of foreign officers being present, including the Earl of Cardigan.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 July 23 00:24 BST (UK) »
There are contemporary newspaper reports mentioning the Prussian military manoeuvres in Germany in mid-September 1842, and of foreign officers being present, including the Earl of Cardigan.

Hi Shaun, Thanks so much for this too. I will check out the newspapers to find out more. Best wishes, Jon