Author Topic: Foley - Tipperary  (Read 163 times)

Offline leigh morgan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Foley - Tipperary
« on: Monday 31 July 23 04:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you for allowing me to search
I am trying to piece together the life of John Foley on his death certificate it states he died in 1916 in Emly Tipperary he was from Clashdrumshire aged 74 years.  Informant Anne Dwyer is daughter.  So that would make him born in 1842.  Occupation Labourer
He married Catherine (Kate) Hackett in 1871 in Clashdrumshire no record.  Trying to find a birth for John who sometimes went by Foley or Hackett time of marriage Foley.  I have information on all his children.
Any information would be truly appreciated.

Many thanks

Leigh

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Foley - Tipperary
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 July 23 07:51 BST (UK) »
I can see the mix of the Foley and Hacket(t) surnames in the births and baptisms for the children, however the closest civil birth I can find for the 2 year old Patrick in that 1901 census shows the mother's name as Kate Fogarty, John was the informant:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1898/02061/1787976.pdf

Patrick Hacket was registered on 12 December 1898 (the same day he was born!), but 2 days later he was baptised as Patrick Foley for parents John Foley and Cath. Hackett.  All very odd.

I don't see any Foleys in Clashdrumsmith in Griffith's Valuation (local print date 1851), but there was a James Hackett there in a house with a garden.

Clashdrumsmith isn't that far away in several directions from the county border with Limerick, I know the censuses indicate that John and Kate were born in Co Tipperary, but could the marriage have taken place in Co. Limerick?  For example, this one in April 1872 between a John and Kate Hackett which took place under 10 miles to the south of Clashdrumsmith:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1872/11311/8150483.pdf

Offline leigh morgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Foley - Tipperary
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 July 23 09:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your prompt help truly appreciate this   :)