Author Topic: Ancestry Annual renewal is changing to twice yearly  (Read 2396 times)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Annual renewal is changing to twice yearly
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 00:25 BST (UK) »
Mine is £41.99 on renewal at end of December until June 24 then £69.99 from June - December.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 09:26 BST (UK) »
I do enjoy having my ancestry sub, but will have to consider the costs when my sub is due for renewal  which isn’t yet. I know the sensible thing is to divide it into cost per day, but the cheaper subs we’ve enjoyed has rather spoilt us ( or me) I think . FindMyPast subs have never been cheap, but having both means you can find out so much more with the different datasets or transcriptions.
North East of England

Offline Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 10:56 BST (UK) »
My Ancestry sub expires at the end of the year.

As someone who often finds myself wandering, and inputting details of some step-grandson-of-the-wife-of-some-second-cousin-of-a-mother-in-law-8-times removed, I'm going to use that end of year as a target for drawing a line under some of my research, at least for now.

I find myself searching for the same details over and over again, and failing to solve the brick walls that have been bothering me for months.

I think it is time for me to switch effort to other potential sources for a while.

For example, I recently found a 'missing' relative by chance when I came across a transcribed monument at the Local Studies Centre - he had been lost at sea, but I'd failed to find any records for him after his marriage and started to wonder if he had abandoned the family.

I think for me, at this stage, there will be more mileage in sources I currently tend to underuse (newspapers, archives etc). I can also use the local library for free access to Find my Past, which I haven't used much so far.

I do hope there will be good future offers for Ancestry, though, as I enjoy using it and would like to do a lot of work on my husband's tree.

I don't want to pay premium prices though, especially after all these £2.50 records I'm now buying!  ;D

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 20:32 BST (UK) »
I’ve just been online and cancelled mine which expires in September and have had the cancellation email. I’ll see what they’re offering once it’s expired or if any of the cheaper links work or not , to renew.
North East of England

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 August 23 13:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the link. I have just done it . I had a refund from my old membership and the world wide membership has cost me £65 for a year. Very happy bunny  8)
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 August 23 14:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the link. I have just done it . I had a refund from my old membership and the world wide membership has cost me £65 for a year. Very happy bunny  8)
Thank you for your post.  :)

Can I just check - do you mean your existing membership hadn't actually expired, but you got a pro-rata refund at the same time as taking up the special worldwide offer?

I always assumed I would have to wait until my existing membership expired and then wait for new offers to appear. (Ancestry once told me i could not take advantage of any 'offers' unless I was a 'new' member without an existing contract.)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 August 23 14:43 BST (UK) »
My sub expires tomorrow. I haven't auto renewed, intending to use the link to get the half price sub in a few days. Hope it will still work.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 09 August 23 14:27 BST (UK) »

Can I just check - do you mean your existing membership hadn't actually expired, but you got a pro-rata refund at the same time as taking up the special worldwide offer?

I always assumed I would have to wait until my existing membership expired and then wait for new offers to appear. (Ancestry once told me i could not take advantage of any 'offers' unless I was a 'new' member without an existing contract.)
That is exactly what I mean. I got a refund on my old membership of £24.65 for my Premium membership. and I then paid £65.34 for the world wide membership. £15 of that was Tax.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 09 August 23 15:24 BST (UK) »

That is exactly what I mean. I got a refund on my old membership of £24.65 for my Premium membership. and I then paid £65.34 for the world wide membership. £15 of that was Tax.

Thank you very much, Larkspur.

I've now ordered one-year worldwide and got a similar pro-rata refund to yours, with a renewal due next August.

Great to have another year at a reasonable price. I don't have a huge number of 'worldwide' ancestors, but it will be good to  explore those ones too, as they have been on a back burner up to now.