Author Topic: St Ives, Huntingdon - Parish Register - Look up request  (Read 359 times)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
St Ives, Huntingdon - Parish Register - Look up request
« on: Thursday 10 August 23 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am hoping SKS may have access to the parish registers for St Ives, Huntingdon, and be able to look up the baptisms for me.

I am looking for children born to Edmund & Anne Overall at St Ives.

Edmund Overall was buried at St Ives on 13 Dec 1736, and in his will (written 14 Nov 1736, proved Archdeaconry Court Huntingdon 14 May 1737) he states that his wife's name was Ann.

A child, named Ann (daughter of the widow Ann Overal) was buried at St Ives on 21 Oct 1737.

No children are mentioned in the will, though Ann could have been born after Edmund died. It is also possible that he had children, but just did not mention them in his will.

I was hoping someone may be able to check the baptisms for Ann Overall c1737, and/or any other children to this couple. I have not yet located Edmund & Ann's marriage either.

I believe that Edmund Overall was the eldest son of Henry Overall & Carrina Swaine of Ramsey, Hunts. There is a marriage for an Edmund Overall to Ann Bulkley in Hampshire in 1711, but this is for his uncle Edmund. Edmund Overall of St Ives, I believe, was born around 1710-12, most likely in Ramsey.

Any help would be appreciated  ;)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Ives, Huntingdon - Parish Register - Look up request
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 August 23 14:58 BST (UK) »
I don't have access to St Ives PR, but the Hunts. baptism index shows just two Overal baptisms in St Ives, both in 1737:
Carrine and Anne, born to Anne Overal, widow.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 August 23 21:55 BST (UK) »
Ah, ok Galium....that is very interesting!

So, it looks like his widow may have had twin daughters after Edmund died. Naming one of them Carrine certainly hints towards Edmund being the son of Henry & Carrina Overall of Ramsey. Sadly Henry also died in 1737. He does not mention Edmund's children in his will, but I suspect they may not have been born yet.

I wonder what became of Ann & her daughter Carrine?

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline mrs_orrell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 May 24 18:14 BST (UK) »
St Ives All Saints:
Baptism
3/8/1737
OVERAL Anne dau of Anne widow born Nov 17 1734
OVERAL Carrine dau of Anne widow born May25 1736

Marriage
Dec 19 1733
OVERAL Edmund (BT Edmond) gent
WHITE Mrs Ann by licence

Burial
Dec 13 1736
OVERAL Edmund (BT OVERALL)

Oct 21 1737
OVERAL Anne dau of Anne, widow

These are the only entries in the St Ives PRs.

An Ann Overal widow is buried Nov28 1756 at Ramsey, another March 27 1763, an Ann Overall, no note as to whether married, sp, wd etc is buried Oct 2 1779

No marriages for Ann (widow) or Carrine (of suitable age) appear in the Hunts Index

Ramsey
Baptism
Jan 8 1684/5
Edmond son of James

Also to James:
John Sep 9 1683
Charles Apr 27 1682
John Mar 3 1680/1
John Oct 9 1679
Carrina Jul 11 1678
Francis May 24 1676 (son of James, grocer)
Mary Mar 27 1675
James Mar 19 1670/1
Henry Dec 6 1668
Henry Jan 20 1687 (son of Mr James)
Owen Jan 21 1690/1 (son of Mr James)
John Jul 4 1692 (son of Mr James)

No marriage for James appearss in the Ramsey PR

Offline mrs_orrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 May 24 18:59 BST (UK) »
Sorry I was confused because you had put Henry Overall above but I see from your previous posts that you knew it was James Overall and Corrinah Hull! Presume you have the date of their marriage?

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 May 24 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi mrs_orrell,

Thanks so much for having a look at the St Ives parish registers for me ;D

How wonderful to finally have Edmund Overall's wife's full name, their marriage date, and the birth/baptism dates for their daughters. So Anne and Carrine were not twins after all, and they were born before Edmund died in Dec 1736...he just didn't help me out and mention them in his will ::)

The Ann Overall buried in 1779 in Ramsey is Edmund's cousin (the daughter of his uncle Francis Overall and aunt Ann Burgess). She was a spinster, and left a will.

The Ann Overall buried in 1763 in Ramsey is her mother (Francis Overall's widow Ann nee Burgess). She also left a will.

Edmund Overall who I now know married Ann White in 1733 was the son of Henry Overall and Carrina Swaine, he was the grandson of James Overall & Carrina Hull who married in 1667 in Holywell cum Needingworth. James Overall and Carrina Hull had 13 children (the baptisms you found in Ramsey between 1668-1692), helpfully they both left wills naming various children and grandchildren. James Overall's son Edmund actually lived in London. He married firstly Sarah Bilio in 1707 at St John at Hackney, and after she died in 1708, married secondly Ann Bulkley in 1711 in Hampshire.

This family has been quite the challenge to sort out, there are many names repeated through the generations.....and to make it more complex a number of them became baptist so there are no baptisms to help figure out who belongs to who! I have had to work off marriages, burials and wills....thank goodness there are LOTS of wills ;)

As far as I can tell, Henry Overall and Carrina Swain did not baptise any of their 5 children (Edmund, Swain, Henry, Carrina & Ellen), and I am yet to find their marriage either (before 1712). I was just lucky that they named one of their children Swain, which lead me to check all the Swain wills in the area. Carrina's father Robert Swaine died in 1721 leaving a will that named his daughter and son-in-law Henry & Carrina Overall.

Thanks again...another missing link tidied up!

Jenny

Offline mrs_orrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 May 24 08:46 BST (UK) »
At least I was some help! I had already taken a look at the Hunts Quaker records in case they appeared in there but alas, no Overalls were there.  There was an Overall mentioned in Hemingford Grey, I can't remember off the top of my head who or what it was. Hemingford Grey stuck out to me as there was a big Quaker burial ground discovered there in the 2000s and there is mention of burials there in the Hemingford parish registers which are denoted as "buried at Oubourn". However, I have just checked the PR and it was a marriage, John Overal of Ramsey m. Sarah Mitchell of St Stewkley (sic) by licence Nov 1 1711 and a burial Martha Overall w. of Henry buried in linnen, five pounds being divided between the informe and the poor of the parish 27 Feb 1680. The "Oubourn" burials start in 1687 so Martha is too early! I have Overalls in my tree but they are from Essex and came to Linton.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 May 24 09:48 BST (UK) »
You were indeed a help  ;)

John Overall who married Sarah Mitchell at Hemingford Grey in 1711 was the son of John Overall and Elizabeth Wagstaff, John was the brother of James Overall who married Carrina Hull.

I suspect that Martha who died at Hemingford Grey in 1680 was the wife of Henry Overall, another brother of John (bap 1640/1 Gamlingay) and James (bap 1642/3 Gamlingay). There are some legal records that mention a Henry Overall of Hemingford Grey, gent in 1682. But I am yet to prove that this Henry matches their brother baptised 1634 in Gamlingay, Cambs.

I believe they were all sons of Henry Overall & Mary Rowell who married in 1624 in Steeple Morden, Cambs. Henry Overall of Gamlingay died in 1668/9 and left a will.

How interesting that you have Overalls in your tree too

Jenny