Author Topic: Newspaper lookup request - death of Henry Gardiner 1896  (Read 227 times)

Online Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newspaper lookup request - death of Henry Gardiner 1896
« on: Wednesday 16 August 23 08:34 BST (UK) »
My ancestor, Henry Gardiner, died on 15 February 1896 of gunshot wounds in Sprucedale, Parry Sound, Ontario.

This was reported, as a suicide, in a small paragraph in the Toronto Star on 19 February 1896. This cutting has been widely circulated on Ancestry and is the only press cutting I have ever seen relating to this incident.

I just wondered if there might be any other cuttings/reports of this violent death.

I am in England, and not familiar with the regions of Canada or the newspapers published at that time, so I'm not sure whether this sort of story would have been covered somewhere else, in more detail. There must have been an inquest.

(In modern times the local papers here would be all over such a story!)

If anyone is able to look up this incident to see if it was covered in the press, other than the paragraph in the Toronto Star, I would be very grateful. Thank you.  :)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper lookup request - death of Henry Gardiner 1896
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 August 23 09:03 BST (UK) »
If you try an internet search for

"henry gardiner" 1896 mcmurrich

one result does include a typed, short paragraph about the event.  I have never used the site before so I would prefer not to add the link (for safety reasons), but the paragraph was from a heritage society and is the first result that popped up.

Others may be able to find an actual newspaper article for you.  Given the number of children he left behind, there very well could be various newspaper articles.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Online Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 August 23 09:48 BST (UK) »
If you try an internet search for

"henry gardiner" 1896 mcmurrich

one result does include a typed, short paragraph about the event.  I have never used the site before so I would prefer not to add the link (for safety reasons), but the paragraph was from a heritage society and is the first result that popped up.

Others may be able to find an actual newspaper article for you.  Given the number of children he left behind, there very well could be various newspaper articles.

Thank you very much, Lisa, for your help. I've found the paragraph you referred to. Much appreciated.

Thank you too for the tip about his children. I haven't managed to find 19 yet... I have found 8 he had with his first wife in England, and 7 with his second wife, some born in England and some born in Canada. Some of his children were adopted after his death and changed their names. I have just taken out worldwide Ancestry on a discounted subscription, so I am hoping there may be more Canadian records in due course.

Thanks again. :)

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Online Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 August 23 10:48 BST (UK) »
https://vitacollections.ca/kl-digitalarchive/3329232/page/9?q=gardiner&docid=OOI.3329232

see column 1

Thank you very much for finding that for me!

I can't quite believe the newspaper used the heading 'No wonder he shot himself.'  :o :o

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 August 23 11:33 BST (UK) »
…I have just taken out worldwide Ancestry on a discounted subscription, so I am hoping there may be more Canadian records in due course.

Thanks again. :)

You are welcome.  :).  If you need any help maneuvering around, please let us know.

I’m very familiar with Etobicoke/Toronto (at least the 1800s and early 1900s) and may be able to answer general questions.

You may know that Canada has very strict privacy laws so “more recent” documents may not be available.

https://vitacollections.ca/kl-digitalarchive/3329232/page/9?q=gardiner&docid=OOI.3329232

see column 1

Thank you very much for finding that for me!

I can't quite believe the newspaper used the heading 'No wonder he shot himself.'  :o :o

While I’ve read some fairly blunt and graphic headings, I’ve never run across one like this one. I wonder what motivated the person to write that.  :-[
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 August 23 12:02 BST (UK) »
I was somewhat taken aback with the headline. Have seen plenty of items in old newspapers to raise an eyebrow and this is right up there with them.