Author Topic: McCormick and Cairns.  (Read 247 times)

Online garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
McCormick and Cairns.
« on: Friday 18 August 23 18:13 BST (UK) »
Some help maybe lateral thinking would be appreciated please, my grt grt grand fathers brother Henry Henderson married a Mary Ann McCormick in 1871 in Mossend Bothwell her age stated is 18 ( not sure of occupation can only make out Cotton mill) parents John McCormick and Margaret Cairns (I believe),
image of certificate posted. I'm trying to ascertain Mary Ann's family the wedding was in Oct and there was an earlier Census in 71 found Henry's Ok the nearest to Mary Ann's seemed to be the one i'm posting which is from No3 Chapel Square Bothwell which has the McCormick family with Mary Ann aged 16......which ties in with Mary Ann's later Census information stating she was born in Ireland. I found no 1861 Census for the family but 71 states that two children where born Ireland around that time for the Census.....the trouble is I have found a death certificate for Mary Ann McCormick in 1855 in Holytown/Bothwell with the same parents and in 1856 a brother Thomas aged 7 also died naming the same parents so am I on the wrong path ( the writing on the certificates sometimes makes me think I am) as I cant seem to trace another Mary Ann with those parents from Ireland on those dates is it possible she was born in 1855 ( havent found a birth in Bothwell) in Ireland so soon after losing the 1st Mary Ann in Bothwell then coming back so soon to lose a son Thomas..I'm stuck going round in circles any help would be great thanks.
Henderson
Crawford

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: McCormick and Cairns.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 August 23 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hard to know isn't it  :-\ I would say from what you have that it is the same couple. Why the use of Mary Ann twice, I can't guess.

Mary Ann who married Henry Henderson showed as 18 when she married Henry in 1871, although her census entry showed as 16. Her birth place in on the 1891 census gave Co Cavan as her birth location. Baby Mary Ann above showed Co Fermanagh, Omah as her birth place.

Regarding Mary Ann's occupation, on the 1871 census it showed as Factory Guider. On her marriage entry it showed as 'Worker in a Cotton Mill'.

What is the address on Mary Ann's marriage reg? I can only make out Square!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 August 23 20:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks MonicaL it is Chapel Square I think which is either Mossend or Carfin. edit sorry I think its just the square .
Henderson
Crawford

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 August 23 21:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Garndad  :)

When sister Margaret married in 1879 (William Gallacher), she also gave her father John's occupation as Trimmer in a coal pit. As did Mary Ann, when she stated father John was a wagon trimmer.

I can't remember if you have a subs to A/try. There are lots of family trees, with lots of original documents attached supporting the info, such as this one www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/154942857/person/392057809503/facts

Monica

Online garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 August 23 21:08 BST (UK) »
No MonicaL I dont have a subscription for A/try but i have a guest access to someone's tree and it's full of so many false siblings that dont make sense that I was trying to prove or disprove a connection one led me to download a false trail of certs so i have bamboozeld myself a wee bit.... regards Mary Ann's sister Margaret if that is the correct pairing im following then im ok if they are not the right family then im back to square one.
Henderson
Crawford

Online garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 August 23 21:14 BST (UK) »
I also know that my Mary Ann McCormick/Henderson died in 1923 her son John was the informant and reiterated her parents as John McCormick a Coal Merchant (deceased) and Margaret Cairns (deceased).
Henderson
Crawford

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 August 23 21:16 BST (UK) »
You do have to take care when looking at other people's family trees...as you are doing  ;)

The reason I highlighted the tree I linked is that it is packed with original certs from SP making it more reliable to follow up on.

Monica

Online garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 August 23 21:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks MonicaL thats great i can see some so i will try and view them cheers.
Henderson
Crawford