Author Topic: Lance Corporal William Reid WHYTOCK (154348)  (Read 333 times)

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lance Corporal William Reid WHYTOCK (154348)
« on: Saturday 19 August 23 11:08 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the regimental details of the above who was born 1915 in Liberton Scotland and died 2005 in Perth Scotland.   He lost a leg in Italy I believe and was very active after the war.   Can anyone help with his Regt etc

Many Thanks

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Lance Corporal William Reid WHYTOCK (154348)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 August 23 11:49 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 August 23 12:41 BST (UK) »
His full number was T154348 and he was in the Royal Army Service Corps. The T means he was a driver in the transport branch of the RASC (as opposed to the stores or catering side). His rank in 1942 was Lance Corporal. He appears on  three War Office Casualty lists which provide a picture of what happened to him.

In Cas List 775 dated  19 March 1942 he was in the Western Desert of North Africa and reported as a prisoner of war.

In Cas list 843 dated 6 Jun 1942 it was further noted that he was wounded and a POW.

In Cas list 1174 dated 30 June 1943 he was shown as previously a POW now repatriated. If he had had a leg amputated while in captivity as a result of his injuries, he may have been released because he was no longer fit to fight and it was no longer necessary to hold him as a POW.

If you obtain his service records by following the process CaroleW highlighted, they should explain this in more detail.

I note that there was a William Reid Whytock born 24 Feb 1881 in Edinburgh who fought in the First World War and was also made a POW. Could this have been a relative? I believe this person died in 1950

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 August 23 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
WW2 Imperial Prisoners of War held in Italy
Whytock  W R  L/Cpl  154348 RASC
Camp no AM

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 August 23 14:35 BST (UK) »
Wow what a fantastic group of people you are.    Thanks so much for all this useful information.   I am doing this research for a friend and will pass this on.    This is her uncle who was by all accounts lived a full and varied life doing parachute jumps in his eighties.
Thanks to you all once again

Harry

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 August 23 14:48 BST (UK) »
Andy J2022

thanks again for the info, William R Whytock you mentioned as 1WW POW could well have been his father who was born 1883 and died 1950.   How do I go about getting his info

Harry

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 August 23 15:39 BST (UK) »
His attestation papers are on Findmypast. He attested  14 August 1900 in the HUSSARS, service number 4515. I’m sorry I can’t tell you any more I’m having difficulty opening some of the images in FindMyPast.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 August 23 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Harry,

The information on both father and son is on FindMyPast.

It appears that WR Whytock senior first joined the 11th Hussars at the age of 18 on 14 August 1900 but was discharged on 10 September of the same year, I have yet to find the reason but it may be on health grounds as he was admitted to hospital with inflammation of the tonsils in September.  His father was noted as Richard Whytock of 10 West Preston St, Edinburgh, along with the names of his brothers Richard, James and Alfred. His occupation was shown as shoemaker.

Then after the outbreak of WW1 he joined the Royal Highlanders with the regimental number 201875, which being a six figure number, suggests this was from 1917 onwards. He then transferred to the 1st Battalion Black Watch and served in 10th Platoon, C Company. On 18 March 1918 he was reported to be a Prisoner of War and in a camp in Germany. He was probably taken prisoner during the German counter attack in Feb 1918 following the 3rd Battle of Ypres.

Based on an Edinburgh Gazette notice dated 12 August 1938 I'm guessing that his wife had recently died as he was trying to get administration (not the Scots legal term for it) of her estate. Her name was Eliza Jane née Brown. WR senior's address was given as 2 Lasswade Road, Liberton.

A newspaper notice from later that year said that William Reid Whytock, younger son of Mr and Mrs WR Whytock of Lasswade Road, Liberton married Euphemia Duncan, younger daughter of Mr and Mrs Thomas Duncan of Jubilee Road Whitburn, on 12 August 1938.

Not wishing to spend lots of money on credits for Scotland's People that is the extent of my research.

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 August 23 16:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks very Much Andy I am only on Scotlands People now and not any of the other search programmes