Author Topic: James WILLIAMS pre-1914 Liverpool  (Read 466 times)

Offline sorrellk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James WILLIAMS pre-1914 Liverpool
« on: Saturday 26 August 23 21:30 BST (UK) »
This photo in this extremely sad condition is the only known picture of my paternal grandfather. It recently surfaced in the attic of a 1st cousin.
James was born in Liverpool in 1881 and I think this picture is definitely pre WW1. I think I can see a flower in his lapel, so I wonder if it might have been taken at a (his?) wedding. He did marry my grandmother in 1904. James died in 1921.
I even paid someone to have a go at restoring it but the results were less than satisfactory and made him look like a plastic replica of a person.
Would appreciate any and all help.

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James WILLIAMS pre-1914 Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 August 23 18:46 BST (UK) »
Had a go but not good :-(

Offline sorrellk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 August 23 19:15 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, I do appreciate the effort! I realize what a tough one this is. And what doesn't help is that the original picture measures only about 1"x 2" and when you try to make it bigger, it just pixilates out.

It wouldn't matter so much except that as I said, this is the only picture we have of him. He died more than 40 years before I was born, and none of his 12 grandchildren ever even met him. He's just been a name on my Dad's birth and marriage certificates.

Offline hoobaloo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 August 23 20:43 BST (UK) »
A try from me, regards, John.

Offline jmagarac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 August 23 20:46 BST (UK) »
Greetings. Am I to understand that you are in "possession" of this small photograph? You are correct in the fact that its original small size is a very large hinderance to capturing much detail from it in a scan. And yes... it will definitely only pixelate further when attempting to extrapolate detail from the uploaded file. I know it is always a long shot suggestion - but have you tried to have it professionally scanned or the image captured in any different ways? The image that some will try to restore or enhance in any way is being attempted from a file that is only 176 pixels wide. Given that a pixel is a picture element - an eye is being made up by only 12-13 pixels. That is not a lot to resolve much detail. All that being said - here is a quick 15minute touchup.

Offline jmagarac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 August 23 20:49 BST (UK) »
Also... another long shot... but if you have no other means of capturing it in a scan that produces any better results that the current upload - there is always an outside chance that you might get some detail from even a phone camera. A Samsung Galaxy or an iPhone Pro - with macro capabilities, (short of nothing else) might be worth a try.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 08:17 BST (UK) »
My try. :)
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline jmagarac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 20:52 BST (UK) »
Played with it a bit more. Actually - quite a bit. Don't think I can recreate or restore much more without "literally" making stuff up - or letting AI make stuff up. If you can ever get a slightly better scan... I can perhaps give it another go.

Offline sorrellk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 August 23 19:13 BST (UK) »
You must have spent a lot of time on this, and I am most grateful. He looks a lot like my Dad, actually and that along with your efforts have made him seem almost real!
I will look into your brilliant idea about getting a better scan - that's definitely a great suggestion.

Thanks also to everyone else who gave this their best shot. I realize I was asking the impossible!