Author Topic: Understanding an eighteenth century will instruction  (Read 167 times)

Offline bluebirds1234

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Understanding an eighteenth century will instruction
« on: Thursday 31 August 23 19:28 BST (UK) »
This is an extract from a will written in 1787 and is typical of the instructions in the rest of the document. I am trying to decipher: what does she mean by securities? And what access (if any) do the executors have to this money (£300)? Are they merely putting it in a government security and then paying the dividend to Margaret Hudson? Thanks in advance for any help!

"my last name trustees and the survivors and survivor of them and the executors administrators of such survivor do and shall put and place out the said two several sums of three hundred pounds each upon such security or securities as they or he shall in their or his discretion shall think safe and proper and do and shall pay assign and dispose of the interest profits and produce of the sum of the sum of three hundred pounds (one of the said two several sums) as the same shall from time to time (during the natural life of Margaret Hudson of Manchester aforesaid widow the sister of my late husband p. 4 Samuel Norcot deceased) arise or be received unto the proper hands of her the said Margaret Hudson or otherwise to permit and suffer her to receive the same to and for her own proper use and benefit and from and immediately after her decease."

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding an eighteenth century will instruction
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 September 23 16:29 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :D

That's the trouble with legal papers, they talk in eye-crossing language.  ::)

I suspect what it means is that the executors are to invest the money and pay Margaret Hudson the interest that is generated from the investment.  In other words giving her an income to live on.

In today's terms it would be like putting money in a savings account and living off the interest that is generated.

Hopefully that is clear to you.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire