Author Topic: Where is Lizzie Carroll after 1908?  (Read 709 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Lizzie Carroll after 1908?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 September 23 22:13 BST (UK) »
That lady's information doesn't match what we know of Lizzie.
The woman arriving in Vancover had no occupation, had last lived with a niece in Taumarunui NZ and had sailed from Sydney, Australia. She had been in the US before, in California, from 1903 to 1905 maybe, it's hard to read.

In 1908, Lizzie was a domestic servant in the town of Armagh who, in a court case, said she was only earning 10 pounds per year.

Yes of course..my point was to say that disregarding possibilities of international travel was possibly limiting. 

NZ & Australia had all sorts of immigration schemes where large numbers of domestics and herds for instance had their passages either paid to NZ/Aus or an amount paid by the person immigrating.  Some times these were called affectionately "ten pound poms'.  whether they came from England itself or Ireland would have been beside the point ......

Glad you have found her!

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 September 23 22:33 BST (UK) »
Yes of course..my point was to say that disregarding possibilities of international travel was possibly limiting. 

NZ & Australia had all sorts of immigration schemes where large numbers of domestics and herds for instance had their passages either paid to NZ/Aus or an amount paid by the person immigrating.  Some times these were called affectionately "ten pound poms'.  whether they came from England itself or Ireland would have been beside the point ......

Glad you have found her!

Thanks for explaining, I misunderstood. I will give her another look.
-----
I'm not sure we've found her yet, but the lady in Leeds is the closest we've come yet. I downloaded the article and need to look around for other possible Elizabeth Carrolls in the area, etc. She did have a niece Brigid Carroll who was living in Saltaire, W Yorkshire in 1925, before she left for the states. I still have to see when the niece first shows up there.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 September 23 22:59 BST (UK) »
There is a newspaper report Yorkshire Evening Post - Wednesday 24 October 1917

An Elizabeth Carroll aged 47 was working as a house keeper at the Grand Central Hotel in Leeds. She fell down a goods lift.

The article says there was going to be an inquest, but I can't find any further details in the papers. Nor can I find a death record that matches it, which is a little odd.

Maybe a mix up with the details? :-\
Dec 1917 Leeds 9b 299
Carroll, Emily
Age 43

Death dates for 3 of the 4 others on the same page, 24, 27, 28 October

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 September 23 23:12 BST (UK) »

Glad you have found her!

Thanks for explaining, I misunderstood. I will give her another look.
-----
I'm not sure we've found her yet, but the lady in Leeds is the closest we've come yet. I downloaded the article and need to look around for other possible Elizabeth Carrolls in the area, etc. She did have a niece Brigid Carroll who was living in Saltaire, W Yorkshire in 1925, before she left for the states. I still have to see when the niece first shows up there.

I see you may have a match...my post was not a 'to do' but a reminder/counter about not discarding 'overseas' searching as you did not have to be wealthy to immigrate in times past. Far from it as countries were looking for young, enthusiastic and adaptable people.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 September 23 13:07 BST (UK) »

An Elizabeth Carroll aged 47 was working as a house keeper at the Grand Central Hotel in Leeds. She fell down a goods lift.

The article says there was going to be an inquest, but I can't find any further details in the papers. Nor can I find a death record that matches it, which is a little odd.

Dec 1917 Leeds 9b 299
Carroll, Emily
Age 43

That looks like the right lady. I'll start looking for an Emily Carroll as well.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 September 23 00:51 BST (UK) »

Dec 1917 Leeds 9b 299
Carroll, Emily
Age 43

Nottingham and Midland Catholic News, Saturday 10 November 1917, page 8, column 6:
a brief report of the funeral of Emily Carroll who died at the Grand Central Hotel, Leeds

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 September 23 04:04 BST (UK) »
Does this mean you are still looking?

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 September 23 13:54 BST (UK) »