Author Topic: What is Geneanet  (Read 790 times)

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What is Geneanet
« on: Tuesday 05 September 23 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm not sure if this is the right place but I've recently started to receive hints from Geneanet through Ancestry.   One has a lot of info on a brick wall that I have - lots of the same info that I do.

Could someone explain it to me.

Thank you
Nesta

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What is Geneanet
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 17:49 BST (UK) »
Geneanet became part of Ancestry in 2021

Ancestry, the world’s largest genealogy company, announced today that it has reached an agreement to acquire Geneanet. This announcement marks a new chapter in the history of Geneanet. This blog post aims to explain the ins and outs of this important news. --- August 30th, 2021

From Wiki:

Geneanet (previously stylized as GeneaNet) is a genealogy website with 4 million members. The database consists of data added by participants and is intended for all genealogists. The website is collaborative and the data added by the members are available for free to any interested people. An optional annual subscription provides additional search options and additional records.

History
In 1996, Jacques Le Marois, Jérôme Abela, and Julien Cassaigne launched a website for "using the strength of the Internet to build a database indexing all the genealogical resources existing in the world, available or not online". The former name was "LPF" (List of surnames of France). Geneanet has officially launched on December 2, 1996.

The purpose of the site is, through the family trees shared by the members, to match hundreds of thousands of records and genealogical data, to maximize the opportunities of finding common ancestors and growing the family trees. A search in this index can tell if a surname has been investigated by a genealogist (mostly amateur) in a certain place and a certain period of time. Over the years, Geneanet has developed new tools: an internal mailbox, some charts and lists print tools, a digitized library... The number of unique visitors par month has increased from 330,000 in 2006 to more than 1 million in 2018. In 2019, Geneanet has more than 2 million unique visitors per month and is called "heavyweight of the sector".

In August 2012, the Geneanet database reached the milestone of 1 billion entries, then 2 billion in August 2015, and 6 billion in 2019.

In September 2014, Geneanet launched a project for indexing soldiers in the First World War. At that time, the site was hosting more than 530,000 family trees with 800 million individuals.

Since 2015, Geneanet participated in the genealogical exhibition which held in the town hall of the 15th arrondissement of Paris In 2017, Geneanet signed a partnership with FamilySearch, allowing the LDS members to have a free Geneanet Premium subscription.

In 2018, Geneanet took part in the debate about DNA tests for genealogical purpose. Since then, the site conducts surveys with its members (20,000 en 2018).

On June 28, 2018, the CEO of Geneanet, Jacques Le Marois, was present at the Filae General Assembly, its main competitor, because the Trudaine Participations company (which more than 30% of the capital is held by Geneanet) has acquired 25% of the capital of Filae. Geneanet was acquired by Ancestry.com in August 2021.

Description
Geneanet has 3 million members, 800,000 family trees and 6 billion indexed individuals as of March 2019. The site proposes three levels of use (visitor, registered and Premium): the second level allows the user to create a family tree, and the third level is a paid service which allows the user access to collections added by genealogy societies among other things.

Geneanet is a contributive, collaborative and freemium website. The site allows users to create a family tree with an unlimited number of individuals for free. A paid subscription allows members to more easily find information, to receive email alerts when new matches are available, to access a genealogy library with 3 billion indexed individuals, and to match their family tree to the database.

Features
The site Geneanet, based on GeneWeb, allows to calculate and display relationships between two persons in a family tree, and to highlight possible blood relationships. Some relationships between famous people have been relayed by the press.

Since December 2015, Geneanet allows all the users to search the database through an advanced search engine which can perform queries by first name and last name, option which was reserved for paid members.[26] In September 2017, Geneanet has launched a new matching option for finding common persons between the family trees of the members.

Since 2018, Geneanet proposes a service to automatically create and print a family book from a family tree, through a partnership with the site Patronomia.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 18:34 BST (UK) »
AllanUk has given you the background/history of Geneanet.

Can I please add my own word of caution about taking everything on it as 100% accurate. Like all Ancestry hints and family trees the information is on occasion inaccurate. I have personal experience of this.

By all means take the information which may help you with your brick wall but please, please back it up with your own research e.g. get the relevant Birth records and Census Records etc.

Good luck,

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you for the background, very interesting.
Dowdstree…thank you for the warning but I only use ancestry hints as that,  nothing goes on my proper tree without being checked properly; when I began researching 40 years ago there was only paper . 
Nesta

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 19:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I did not know how experienced you were when I posted my reply.

Yes when I started too you relied on paper or a trip to your local archives. Nothing was online x
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 19:04 BST (UK) »
No worries …. I’m still learning …  :)

Offline Cats1723

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 September 23 02:22 BST (UK) »
Geneanet is not a collaborate one tree  site like Geni, FamilySearch, WeRelate or Wikitree (wikitree had a security breach so be aware of that)

Every tree is separate and just like Ancestry and My heritage the quality of sources and relationships on there vary considerably.
Personally I have found that the quality has gone down there  since Ancestry took it over.

Verify, verify and verify all data on all genealogical websites.

Offline jayaygee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 September 23 09:23 BST (UK) »
One important point regarding Geneanet is that - at least at present - you remain the owner of the tree you upload which I believe is not the case with some other sites.
BDF Twigg, Ellingham, Gates
BKM Bilbey, Collins, Brandon, Norwood, Smith
HAM Holloway (Romsey area)
HRT Brooks (Tring area)
LDN Saunders, Beedle
MDX Saunders
MLN Maitland, Robertson, McGlashan(all Edinburgh)
OXF Morby, Cross, Gardner (all Banbury area)
SAL Jones, Mathews, Higginson, Davies, Gobourn, Blount
WAR Pritchard (Birmingham)
WRY Dickinson, Atkinson, Mellon, Pritchard, Ashforth, Helliwell, Hague, Dungworth (all Sheffield area)

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 September 23 13:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your responses - I was just hoping that contacting the tree's owner might help with my brick wall.   Unfortunately they hadn't been online there since 2021 and I can't seem to find them in ancestry.

Back to the drawing board.

Nesta