Author Topic: coroner's status. EB REECE. Cardiff district coroner in 19th and early 20th cen  (Read 585 times)

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rootschat researchers, I wonder if anyone can help with this one - I have very little information. I am trying to assess the status of the Victorian Coroner EB Reece. His name appears with great frequency in archived newspapers but I can find no actual information about the man. 

I have found an old photo from the Western Mail, but that isn't much help in understanding who the man was. His name was EDWARD B REECE. I know he lived and was acting as a Coroner in 1875 mining disasters. I also know he was incredibly busy. Can anyone throw light on the social status of the Victorian Coroner?  I know that earlier they were on the same level as judges and I have seen they had to be doctors or surgeons.

I simply don't know where to start ... and Ive been researching him as best as I can for weeks. Not sure anyone can trace a person with so little information- but someone in your team usually manages. Please try to find the Cardiff Coroner! Thank you so much. Normax

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: coroner's status. EB REECE. Cardiff district coroner in 19th and early 20th cen
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 20:16 BST (UK) »
You mentioned "archived newspapers". Had you chec ked welsh newspapers online eg.
https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3982770/3982776/56/reece%20AND%20coroner

Provides middle given name and first given name as Edmund.

Online Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: coroner's status. EB REECE. Cardiff district coroner in 19th and early 20th cen
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 20:17 BST (UK) »
Is this him in 1881?
www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2W9-QVNS

Edmund and Edward are sometimes interchangeable

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 20:25 BST (UK) »
THANk YOU! Yes, I'm sure this in the man. Now why couldn't I find it? :(

These notes even give me his status.  I'm infinitely grateful and more than that impressed. Wow, I'm so happy!!!! Norma

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 20:33 BST (UK) »
The news report of his death is so helpful. Many thanks for that. I have searched so many archive papers and missed that one - the most important of all. :)

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 20:35 BST (UK) »
Rootschat researchers are incredible. It's a national treasure! History will be as grateful as I am right now. Thank you. Norma

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 20:39 BST (UK) »
https://newspapers.library.wales/

This is the site you need to check out. if your search key comprises more than one word eg "edmund bernard reece" or "e b reece" wrap the key in inverted commas as shown.

Pob lŵc

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 September 23 12:27 BST (UK) »
I checked for a will for Edmund but drew a blank - which was a bit of a surprise.
But checking his entries on FindMyPast under "Great Western Railway Shareholders" the 1907 entry states he died intestate and Letters of Administration granted to his wife.

pob lŵc